Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Too late?

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM
  • 29 Replies
My son is 4 next month and doesn't go to bed until 1030-11pm and it's killing me and my husband. I have to be up at 6 to be out the door by 630 to drop him off at daycare for me to be at work. With him starting kindergarten next year I want him in bed at 9 at least to get enough rest. My problem is he shares a room with his baby sister and I want her asleep first so he doesn't keep her going so late. Granted she will be 2 when he starts school but they have both so far been late to bed late to rise kids. Any tips on preparing him to go to bed earlier and stay there?
by on May. 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
biomom1437
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM

no tips on the bedtime issues.. but a side note: where i live u r not allowed to put a brother/sister siblings in the same room after the oldest one turns 5 yrs.. so.. i know that was not the question, but you need to consider putting little sis in another room.. imo..

pinkiebabii
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM
It's the law in many places.

Quoting biomom1437:

no tips on the bedtime issues.. but a side note: where i live u r not allowed to put a brother/sister siblings in the same room after the oldest one turns 5 yrs.. so.. i know that was not the question, but you need to consider putting little sis in another room.. imo..

biomom1437
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

yep.. i know.. but some moms don't.. just trying to give some helpful advice... thank u 4 backing me up on this.. bump

Quoting pinkiebabii: It's the law in many places.
Quoting biomom1437:

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Is he only sleeping from 11 pm until 6 am? 

How long is he napping at daycare?

I think you are going to have major issues if you expect them to continue sharing a room.  It's hard when bedtimes are different.

M0M0F3B0YS82
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 5:37 PM
My 1.5yr old goes to bed 7-7:30 and my 3yr old goes between 8-8;30 and they share a room.. I do it this way since the age difference he gets an hr with Daddie all to himself.. Also keeps them from playing with each other

How long does he nap at daycare? He might have issues if kindergarten doesn't offer a "nap time" if he's still on that schedule
Daisy79
by on May. 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I hear this a lot, and I'm not sure it's true.  If it were, why would it be okay for families to share hotel rooms?  It also sounds a little like discrimination for being poor or falling on hard times.  Sorry you can't afford a 3-bedroom home, so now one of your kids gets taken away?  I just don't buy it.

I know there can be different guidelines for foster kids or families otherwise under cps investigation, but I call shennanigans on this rumor.

Quoting biomom1437:

Daisy79
by on May. 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM
4 moms liked this

But to answer OP, just try moving bedtime and awake time up by 15-20 minutes at a time.  Wake them up in the morning (difficult as it may be), and make sure they don't nap too long.  The room-sharing thing could work if you make it a "big-boy" responsibility to keep quiet, "check on" his sister before he goes to bed, and set a good example by waking up and showing her how "big kids" get ready in the morning.

937mrsweaver
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I agree, they need seperate spaces, like yesterday. Most cases it is the law.

As far as bedtime stick to a routine,keep putiing them to bed earlier and cut out on nap times some.

good luck!.. but really get those kids diff rooms/spaces ASAP

MommaEST.99
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 4:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Play around with nap times, start winding them down earlier.  Let them see you winding down and to think you'll be in bed soon too.  They think they are gonna miss something.

justone_jen
by on May. 16, 2014 at 4:42 AM
I think laws like this apply to foster children, and possibly adopted children. Do you have a source? Genuinely curious, not being a dick.

Quoting biomom1437:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)