Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

When to have them wipe themselves?

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter just turned 4 years old and will start VPK in August.  A friend told me that she needed to know how to wipe herself before VPK.  I admit, I haven't started training her yet and don't know where to start.  Or if this is too soon.

I know I can't just trust that she wipes herself well, but I'm sorta at a loss for how to start this.  Any suggestions?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM
I started having my boys wipe then I wipe at 3. ODS picked up quickly...easy kid. Mds is 6 and still have issues. Yds is 4 andonly calls me in if he needs help. I would definitely be practicing it now.

EDIT: Try having her do it/ then you do it. Talk he through it and explain how much to use, when to stop, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM

DS will do it by himself randomly, but he uses so many wipes/toilet paper I try to not have him do it so much. I'm affraid he's going to clog the toilet.  He just started doing by himself one day without anyone telling him.  He's 3 1/2 now.

mamak3211
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Following! I was just wondering this.
scoffin02
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM
I would definitely start now. I watched my DD when she first started and sort of coached her through it.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 1:16 AM

All my kids just started wiping themselves on their own when they were around 5.

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Eek. I started making them wipe when we started potty training! And both boys were doing it 100% alone well before 4 and prek. Only needing help if it was a bad poop.

So I'm really no help. If your worried she won't get it all use baby wipes at first. But if she doesn't and has an itchy bum, tell her why, and show her how to wipe again
anewlynn
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I have tried to have my 4 yo DD wipe herself but she is totally freaked out by getting poop on her hand.  I told her it is a goal to have it figured out by 4 1/2.  I ask her once in awhile to wipe.  I am hoping she starts shortly.  She will wipe pee all by herself.  I tried to have her wipe poop by herself but she didn't get it all and her duppa is really sensitive so got really sore quickly.  I keep trying!  I finally got her to want to brush her own teeth in the a.m.!!  :-)

aimlee
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 12:51 PM

my dd kind of figured it out on her own. she is 3 1/2 and been wiping since 3. 

meagansmommy07
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM
We started at about 3 1/2. We started off with those kandoo wipes and then slowly worked up to toilet paper. She had it down after a few months and rarely needed help after that, unless she was sick.
almburr
by on May. 16, 2014 at 12:55 PM
As soon as they were learning to use the potty.

Unlike my sister. Who still has mom wipe her at 10!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)