Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What we need for preschool

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 5:04 AM
  • 9 Replies
So ds will be 3 in February and his early intervention teachers wanna transition him into preschool next year. We're worried to say the least... He had cancer most of his life so he's had extremely little amounts of social interaction with other kids. There's that plus we are having a very hard time figuring out how to properly discipline him. (It's pretty bad) then he's refusing to potty train even though it's a constant battle to keep a pull up on him so he doesn't pee on the floor. I know it's not required for him to go but I really think he needs this social interaction. His cancer is hereditary so he'll always be an only child. This boy needs friends! What do you ladies suggest???
by on May. 16, 2014 at 5:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't sound like he's ready to be in a classroom of 16 kids with 2 teachers....can you sign him up for a parent participation preschool (where you stay there, volunteering, or with your child) or a parent participation class - I know our town has soccer skills with parent participation until age 4, it's like a 30-45 minute class where they do obstacle courses, kick balls, etc. Here we also have an art exploration hour at an art store, for kids ages 1-5, where the parent stays to help guide their child.

Or start with a 1 hour drop of 'class' like once a week with something he's interested in.
Alyssasmommy412
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I disagree with the PP I think preschool would probably do him well, it will not only socialize him, he will learn, have fun, and learn to behave by watching how other children behave. The teachers are trained and will know how to work on any behavioral issues, when he starts he will be 2.5 don't rush the potty training the teachers will work on that and I bet he will be trained by the time he is 3. Just go to the preschools in the area and talk to the directors. My DD's preschool is finished next week, but if you can find one that still has classes going ask if you can observe the 2.5 class. Good luck.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:07 PM

It's not important that he's not had much interaction with kids.  I'm guessing that his life experiences have well prepared him to feel comfortable among new grown ups.  That's the harder part.

I've had kids in my classes who have spent months just watching the other kids play.  That's okay.  They always join in when they're ready.  Observing other kids using the toilet and behaving properly in a structured environment will also help him learn in those other problem areas too.

I assume the EI folks will be helping you choose a school? 

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

If he has a low immune system, I'd be concerned about putting him into a preschool setting. DS is a chronic wheezer and the germ factor in the winter especially can be brutal.

If the teacher is concerned about social interaction, have you considered doing something like gymnastics, library time or some other type of small group setting that isn't as "germ intesive"? 

If the germs aren't an issue, then preschool is a great place to learn social skills.

LoveMyBug2013
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I'd also be concerned about his immune system.  I might try doing a small play group a few times a week. 

skylosmommy2012
by New Member on May. 16, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Oh he's been cancer free for a year so he's not compromised anymore

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

I'd also be concerned about his immune system.  I might try doing a small play group a few times a week. 

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on May. 17, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Personally don't think children need preschool. I mean if you need daycare then sure why not. Why stress him out over something uneeded? He obviously isn't ready mature wise.

My daughter didn't go and starts kindergarten in the fall. We always went to the park and she does different activities through our rec center. She just tested for school next year and came in at the top of her incoming class and we still have the summer yo go.
shugerbit
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 8:44 AM
So if he is in early intervention I'm assuming he has some sort of delays because that is what it is for. When my son was in ei he went to a playgroup once a week, is that available to you? That was a good transistion to prek. Now that he is in prek he is in the special needs class with an aide, they do things with the other prek class across the hall, but mainly stays in his structured class. As for potty training my kid is almost 4 and not even close, where he doesn't understand the toilet at all so the teachers change him.
LoveMyBug2013
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM

That's great to hear.  I'm sure it was a really scary time for you. 

Quoting skylosmommy2012: Oh he's been cancer free for a year so he's not compromised anymore
Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)