Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Forward facing mamas

Posted by on May. 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM
  • 40 Replies

When did you make the switch to forward facing from rear? Was it an easy transition? I feel like it will be way harder to get him in there! LOL my son is 20 months and I have to turn him around! I wanted to wait as long as I could but he sweats so bad and the air on full blast, all pointed back to him he still sweats! I think when i turn him around the air will actually hit him and he wont sweat so bad.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anewlynn
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I had to turn my DD at about 2 - 2 1/2 because her legs would all cramped up and if I would have had a wreck they would have slammed into the seat.  I am really glad I bought a convertable facing forward seat because she really needs the high back booster to make the seat belt fit better on her neck.  She is old enough for a regular booster but not heavy enough.  

mollysmom328
by New Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter had just turned 3 and was a couple of pounds from the rear facing limit.  It was an easy transition but I would highly encourage you to wait until at least 2.

http://csftl.org/why-rear-facing-the-science-junkies-guide/

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

You could get a noggle and try that. 

http://www.nogglenation.com/

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM
The current suggestion in California is turning at age 2 at a minimum. It will be law soon. We turned my son at 2.5 in DHs car and it was an easy transition. He's 3 now and still rear faces in my car, which is about 90% of the time.
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:49 PM
We turned my oldest at 17 months and it was actually more of a pain at that age. We planned to keep dd rear facing longer, but with number 3 on the way we will most likely have to turn dd around 17 months as well.

If Ds had a cup or toy and dropped it rear facing he could easily pick it up, once he was forward facing it was gone.

My seats have a minimum height of 34" to forward face and Ds just hit that at 17 months. He maxed out the height for rear facing just before his second birthday so he would have been turned around then if we hadn't already.
csmcgr
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:07 AM

In Oklahoma the law is 1 and 20 lbs but they just recently began suggesting to wait until 2. We have two daughters in competitive sports and travel a lot. By 15 mo she was cramped regardless of how i situated her car seat and she would scream, sometimes two hour long car trips. I turned her to keep car riding from becoming a bad thing. She had a convertible seat and so after screaming for an hour on that last trip without being able to make it better, i had husband stop car and turned her seat. She took to it immediately and haven't had any problems

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 2:02 AM

My 7yo was 13m 22lb's

My 6 yo was 15 months 21lb's

My 3 year old was 3y 2 months and 32lb's

My 19 month old is still rearfacing, he is about 23lb's and,

My adopted 14 month old is still rearfacing at 17lb's

MommySchatzi
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 2:56 AM
I turned my son forward facing at 23 months months.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 1:40 PM

My first we switched her at 12 months old when she was over 20lbs and a year. My second we did at 15 months when she finally hit 20lbs. My third we did a little after she turn two years old. She was more of a distraction to us and we hated the thought of going anywhere because she would scream and cry.

LEmommy0913
by New Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:50 PM
I turned DS on his 3rd birthday. It was a pretty easy transition. He was excited to be FFing
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN