Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: How to start potty training when 3 yr old doesn...

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM
  • 5 Replies

How to start potty training when 3 yr old doesn't talk due to hearing issues.

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
prettygirl326
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, if it's any help, I have a daughter who is speech delayed. I didn't really actively start training her until 3. I tried off and on since she turned 2, but I would give up due to the same reasons as your concerns! I would ultimately just try to ger her used to going and sitting on the potty....in my experience, what really worked was to take her to the potty every 45 mins or so. I would have to watch her...like after she drunk liquids, how long did it take for her to void. I thought it was maybe 45 mins if she had juice, 15 if she had water. It was hard at first, but I had her in plastic panties and panties underneath (so that she won't wet my couches) and I would do that all day everyday until she started to recognize that urge. She started to come to me when she needed to go to potty after that. Mostly she would start pulling down her panties and I would rush her to the potty. She had A LOT of accidents before, but now, she can hold her pee better and she knows to go to the potty when she has to pee. I think it's all about allowing your kid time to understand when they feel that urge to go...run to the potty. 

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Have you talked to your pedi about it? He/she may be able to help.

passralt
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Yes, He did have his check up yesterday and the ears are improving. :) Another check up in 6 months.

JanieJo
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:14 AM
My 5 year old is speech delayed too and not entirely potty trained. We have hand signs he needs to use when he needs to go potty. He uses them better at preschool than he does at home. I have to watch him closely because he will tug at his pull-up when he needs to go or has gone. It's tricky, good luck, mama
passralt
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:00 AM

thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)