Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Toddler feeding.

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:14 PM
  • 8 Replies
Alright. A couple questions about my 15 monthly old. First. How on Earth do I get him to eat with a spoon/fork. Since we stared solids at 6 months I've always let him hold and play with a spoon while he ate. I thought by now he's catch on to what to do with it. He just takes a handful of whatever he's eating and shoves it in his mouth. Yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal. So messy!!!
My other question is about being a picky eater. We did baby led eating starting at 6 months and I wanted to do that so he wouldn't be a super picky eater. Up until about two weeks ago he has been an awesome eater. Now all of a sudden he just plays with his food and then pushes it off his tray. I don't known what to do with him!!! Any advice or tips??
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

He will eat with a spoon and fork when is ready. All kids are different about this. 15 months is normal to still want to use there fingers. My three year still like to use her fingers from time to time.

Second question - sounds like he is just not hungry. Kids are great about knowing how much they need or don't need.

lady21784
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM
He will get the hang of it. He has to feel comfoetable with it. Pretty soon he will take the spoon because he wants to do it himself.
abbbiehotzz
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM
So is it best to just keep letting him hold it during meals and wait it out?
Marti123
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
1) remember he will not starve.

2) start family meals, always offer his fork and spoon while he sees you or other parent figures using them.

3) always offer a small balanced meal at mealtimes and role-model eating good foods too. But don't over-analyze, over-encourage or over-reward, just let it be the norm, here's your food, he'll eat when he needs to :)
abbbiehotzz
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Thanks ladies. I try to be consistent and always eat with him at the table but sometimes we get lazy and eat on the couch while watching TV. That's very rare though. And daddy isn't much help, I think he's the messiest. Lol.
Mrs_Sweet
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 2:02 AM
I would keep offering the utensils. He will use eventually. Also keep offering healthy foods and include food he likes.
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Do to worry about either.

My 3 year old is just now getting the hang of a fork. And chooses to eat with his hands most of the time still.

And kids go through picky phases. Offer favorite foods and new foods and don't worry if he doesn't eat much.
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM

My daughter is 16 months and for now still prefers to eat with her fingers. If it's something messy like spaghetti or yogurt she wants me to feed her. She does not like getting her fingers dirty. My daughter has good eating days where she eats constantly and eats all the meals and snacks I (or the babysitter) prepare for her. Days like today she eats like a bird. But she is pretty good about telling me when she is hungry/thirsty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)