Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

what am I going to do now?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

My husband was unexpectedly laid off work 3 weeks ago. My 3 year old sons birthday party is this Sat. Rent is coming due, reg bills, and food. I already do not own a cell phone or have extra things like get t.v. packages. We are doing his party on a very tigh budget.The thing is my husband wants to get a jumping castle, do a whole lunch and have all this nice treats and loot bags. We just have no room in our budget to do it. I figured simple cupcakes and a sundae bar (can do for about 25$) and watermelon, cut apples and so on. I made it so his party is after lunch, and hope people dont expect it. My husband is taking about a new bike ($100+) and these cool BIG loot bags. I am use to doing nice parties and always do nice "look expensive" parties for really good prices. But I am afraid and feeling really down. His party is in 2 days I have nothing and about $100-$150 for 20 kids and about about 10 adults. 

Any ideas ?

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyscarlet14
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:58 PM
When i was growing up, it was just basic goody bags and the cake. We never had snacks or lunch offered. And a, pinyata.and it was still fub. You could try that
JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Your husband needs a swift kick in the reality.  He was just laid off, everything is going to take a hit, including the birthday party that your three year old will have a blast at, but not remember at all 6 months from now. 

Decide how much money you can put towards the party and gifts without sinking yourself, then reduce that number by 25% (so you have wiggle room for an emergency).  That is how much you have to spend on the party.  You can get him a bike for Christmas and the other kids that come to the party can get gift bags on their own birthdays. 

If I were in your shoes (and I have been... super cheap parties here!) I would do:

Cupcakes (make them at home, WAY cheaper, and lots better) 

Tiny paper cups with an inch of ranch dressing and a handful of baby carrots.

Same set-up with sliced apples with yogurt in the bottom of the cup. 

A platter of PB&J sandwiches cut into small squares or triangles.

Cheap, bulk Popsicle if you need an ice cream treat. 

Instead of loot bags, set up a face painting station and a photo booth so that people can get their faces painted, use the dress up props and stand behind the frame you hang up in the yard and take their own pictures with their own phones... they get a keepsake, and you don't have to spend much money if you have dress up stuff already. 

TasHauNaL
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Oh my ! Thank you so much for these great ideas. I like the face painting idea a lot. and I will be making cupcakes form home. I also love the snack ideas. I will head out and start picking up a few things. We are having the party out doors so keeping them busy will be easy. I thought of a few games that would be fun for the kids. But really, really, love the face painting 

Quoting JoanahLee:

Your husband needs a swift kick in the reality.  He was just laid off, everything is going to take a hit, including the birthday party that your three year old will have a blast at, but not remember at all 6 months from now. 

Decide how much money you can put towards the party and gifts without sinking yourself, then reduce that number by 25% (so you have wiggle room for an emergency).  That is how much you have to spend on the party.  You can get him a bike for Christmas and the other kids that come to the party can get gift bags on their own birthdays. 

If I were in your shoes (and I have been... super cheap parties here!) I would do:

Instead of loot bags, set up a face painting station and a photo booth so that people can get their faces painted, use the dress up props and stand behind the frame you hang up in the yard and take their own pictures with their own phones... they get a keepsake, and you don't have to spend much money if you have dress up stuff already. 

butzi
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow! This is such a nice supportive answer. It is kind, empathetic and full of helpful advice! You could give classes on good positive responses!

Quoting JoanahLee:

bcauseimthemom
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

All I can tell you is that your husband needs a reality check.  Other than that, I got nothing....

JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! 

I don't feel like its that hard to be nice and supportive.  I just imagine that the person I am responding to is a friend I know in real life, or that I would be saying what I want to say to the persons face.  Makes it much easier to remember not to be a snarky bitch! LOL  

Quoting butzi: Wow! This is such a nice supportive answer. It is kind, empathetic and full of helpful advice! You could give classes on good positive responses!
Quoting JoanahLee:

MrsNewman
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Its not about the money spent, its about the memories made! You can do a nice party on a small budget! 

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Mobile Photo

Maybe you could make it water/ beach themed. Buy a few of those cheap blow up pools from the dollar store. You could fill them with sand or water and the kids would have a blast playing in the sand and swimming. Maybe buy some cheap little toys and let the kids dig in the sand for them. They could take the toys home as a prize in place of goody bags, plus they would have fun doing it. For snacks these little jello cups look cute and seem like they would be cheap and easy to make. And of course the kids could always snack on goldfish!
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jun. 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM
He's nuts. We just do simple dollar tree decorations and goodies for small goodie bags here. I don't have $100-150 for a birthday party.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alli87807
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM

pinterest has a lot of really cheap games. i made my own pinata for my sons birthday (just painted it) and did dollar store candy instead of goody bags. went a little further

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN