Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Minivan Mamas

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 5:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

I currently drive a SUV and have no complaints, other than, it gets a bit cramped on long road trips. We are a family of three, but ocassionally we'll have a couple extra passengers, including crated dogs. I'm wondering (and hoping for some feedback) if it's worth transitioning to a minivan with a small family? Or is it overkill?

A parenting blog recommended the minivan for families with five or more members, and suggested that a SUV is more than adequate for a family of four or less. Thoughts?

Thanks.

by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Einworb
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 5:44 PM

My daughter is almost 3, so still a toddler.

I'd be interested in hearing from you mamas with young children that have difficulty getting in and out of larger vehicles with bigger ground clearance.

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

We're only a family of 3 people and two large dogs and DH would love to have a minivan, but I'm not a fan. I just prefer sitting up higher in my SUV.

I'd definately need a back up camera if I were to drive a minivan...they just seem to go on forever.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:37 PM
I have a Honda civic with a 3 year old & 10 month old. I have enough room in it and it's not a huge gas waster.
Wright68
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Love my van! So much space and room to just be able to move about. If I wanted to I could walk to the back to change a diaper in the winter during trips or pull over for anything and have the entire trunk. I have the third row stowed. When baby #3 gets here I plan to put the girls in the third row and baby in the captain chair and stow the other captain chair, leaving the whole center open for things (groceries, dogs, presents, etc). Love love. 

tel4him
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:06 AM

I'm on my 3rd minivan and I LOVE them!  We have 3 kids and they're perfect! The only thing I wish mine had was a 60/40 split in the 3rd row.  That's where you can fold like 1/2 the seat down, but still have 1/2 of it up for seating.  That would be great for long trips or anytime I've got a lot of stuff to carry.  

PeachQuean
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:10 AM
My parents, not me have a van, so.when they have the grandkids they can do stuff.

With just my kids with them it's 5 ppl and then 7 with my brothers kids.

So a larger family. They use the van when it's just them as well ( only vehicle they own)

They tried a SUV and didn't like it much.

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:47 AM

We're a family of 3 and we've always had a van. I started driving one when I was 16 and even took my driver's test in a van, so to me they are easy to drive. You don't have to have a large family to have a van. It's nice to have the extra space for other things or for extra people.

XOXOnBubbles
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM

We have a minivan and I love it!  I have 3 kids of my own, and having a van makes road trips a LOT easier because I can separate kids a little so they aren't bugging each other too much.  It also makes it possible for me to do things like carpool for things like school, and kids activities too.  

Alyia72
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM

We have had our van for about 4 years, we moved up from a honda civic because we felt like we needed more room.  We would have had to anyway within the next year because we had triplets.  I love having a van ours is stil to small for us and on its last leg but the new town and countrys are really nice.  We rent them whenever we go out of town and omg the room...I want one very badly...

iamcafemom83
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM
I want one soooo bad. I would totally get one if i were you. Haha
even though we have baby number 3 on the way, I have been wanting one for the last 2 years now. What entices me is how much lower to the ground it is. My kids have to climb to get in our SUV. Also, the sliding power doors would be nice bc in parking lots, the kids can't swing the door open and ding the car next to us before I can get there.
And the space!! I would LOVE the space. Especially when cousins visit.

Anyways that is my short essay on why I am sold!! I think that even if you don't have a big family, it is going to be a comfortable, versatile car to have.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN