Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

do your kids play with their toys?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:50 AM
  • 21 Replies
I have a 5 year old and a soon to be 2 year old . They both have toys for days . I have a 3 bedroom 2 story home one room was just empty ,so i turned it into a toy room threw alot of there toys in there. Now downstairs we have a family room which just has a tv and a bunch of more TOYS .ok now that i kinda gave u an idea . They rarly ever play with there toys. They mostly follow me around if im watching tv they are jumping around me or fightin about somthing . If im washing dishes my 2 yr old getting into the cabnets or climbing on the counter or wanting to help . If im upstairs there there too if im folding.clothes they are trying to help or trowing the clothes around. When i take a shower i have to leave the door wide open cuz my 2 yr old start crying. I contantly have to tell them go play ...go play with your toys while i do sonthing .. they play maby 2 min and right behind me agian .. its like i have to watch when i walk or make a sudden movement cuz ill step on them or somthing . ..is this normal? What am i doing wrong? Or how do i make them intrrested on there toys ( there all toys they pick or gifts)
Oh forgot to metion my oldest wanted a nabi so i got it for her but she rather be on my phone . y
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

to me it just sounds like they want your attention. Not saying they lack it, just that they want more of it

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Yes, for short periods of time they play independently. My kids are 3 & 10 months. We have a 3 bedroom as well, but one room is an office/guest room/art table & small toys room (for my 3 year old only, the baby isn't allowed in the room, there's Legos & stuff in there)

I do a lot of activities with them that are 'structured' - yesterday we did play doh, a sticker book with my 3 year old, built a fort, outside play with the water table and ride on toys, quiet time (30 min of reading out loud), and I played magnatiles and did puzzles with them.

I rotate toys, which helps a ton. Over half of their toys are in toy bins in a closet and I rotate them about once a month.

I've noticed how the toys are stored and where makes a difference, too. My kids won't touch a toy in their room but will play with the same toy if it's in the family room.
Elibellamiah
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Some of my kids have played more with toys than others. My oldest didn't seem to have any imagination or know how to play for a long time. Around maybe 6 years old he started immitating friends a little and would play pretend games like "the floor is lava" and climb around on the furniture. I would try to get him to play when he was little. I would get out Duplos or Little People and he would just stare at me. He would do puzzles and was very good at them from an early age and he learned to read early so he would entertain himself with those things some but not until he was maybe 5. He likes Legos but he will only build them according to their directions and doesn't ever play anything with them once they are built. My 4 year old son is the opposite, he loves these Super Hero Imaginext sets we have and he will have the guys driving around and talking to each other, he can entertain himself for a while. My 6 year old daughter is in between, it seems like she will spend a lot of time setting things up but then rarely seems to actually play anything with them, she does that with Polly Pockets and Lalaloopsies. I don't know if it's a personality thing or what.

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Ya sometime he plays with his.
cutestmom24
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM
My daughter plays with her toys a good amount i guess.she has a few favorite toys that she plays with all the time tho.
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It goes in waves here. Some days DS would rather be playing with toys and some days he wants to be under me. If i'ts an under me kind of day, I usually get him started playing, then tell him I need to do something and I'll be back.  It's the only way I can get things done around the house and keep him company while playing too.  If he just wants to be with me, then I hand him a dust cloth and he helps me clean or helps me put away laundry etc. Yes, it does take double the time to get thigns done, but it's important that he knows that I'll make room/time in almost any activity for him.

PeachQuean
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM
My two yr old will play in her room for hours on end, quietly too.

The other kids are 6,12 and are never home.

Sounds like your toddler wants your attention.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
They want your attention or they feel overloaded with toys. I think you would be better to pack some of them up and put them away for a while, in about a month pack up everything that is out and put the already packed up toys out. That way it is like they are getting all brand new toys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2bayblove
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Thank you this sounds like a good idea. I will definitely try this .

Quoting waytomanykids10: They want your attention or they feel overloaded with toys. I think you would be better to pack some of them up and put them away for a while, in about a month pack up everything that is out and put the already packed up toys out. That way it is like they are getting all brand new toys.
2bayblove
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM
Thank you for your reply . I do give my toddler alot of attention maby not enough than i think .. i dont know . I will try to spend more time doing what they want and ill see if it changes anythinh

Quoting PeachQuean: My two yr old will play in her room for hours on end, quietly too.

The other kids are 6,12 and are never home.

Sounds like your toddler wants your attention.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN