Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Horror Story... (Needing a bit of advice.)

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM
  • 25 Replies

Well this may sound a bit crazy but... I was wandering if any of you ladies could offer any advice as to how to get my three yr old to let me and his daddy cut his finger and toe nails without a screaming match...

See every time I try to cut his nail he starts screaming bloody murder like i'm trying beat him black and blue or something like that... (yes maybe I don't do this as often as i should but it is what it is.) either way I know it's not really hurting him and i'm not to worried about hurting him because he is three yrs old but i'm still not idk I just wish that there was a way to do this with a screaming match...any ideas on how to make it fun for him?

Thanks in advance ladies...

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SophiaKsMom
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
My 2 year old daughter doesn't like it when I trim her finger or toe nails. I have daddy hold her and talk to her. Maybe you could have him count how many fingers you have done or left.
MedicturnedMama
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you do it when he falls asleep? Or maybe see if you can file them rather than cut them.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Try biting them, see if he will let you do that.
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:33 AM
Well thank you all and ya know idk what to do really cuz he won't even let me or dh look at his fingers toes w/o screaming. So idk but maybe i could try when he's asleep. Ty all again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
I let DS use the iPad while I cut his nails.
liss05
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him watch a favorite show after a bath(it softens the nails) and a lot of it is a"age" thing because my now 9yo did the same thing. G/L :)

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to do my son's nails one at a time.  He would let me do one nail and then maybe the next day I could get another one.  Slow but at least all the nails weren't so long.  Also, when he was at his worst, I just let it go and his nails got a little long.  Unless he is scratching himself or the nails are interfereing with something no reason to force the issue.  They eventually wear down or tear off on their own.  P.S.  I never cut my son's toenails unless there is a scraggler because they grow slowly and wear down on their own anyway.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine used to cry and almost hyperventilate. I always felt like I was trying to cut off his whole foot not just his toe nails! He's 4 now and no more tears! We sing. Sometimes Itsy bitzy spider, sometimes Jingle bells. He gets to pick. He also gets to pick which foot or hand I start with. Giving him some control really helped a lot.

JamieC0403
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My three year old is a lot better about it now, but I usually do it while he is engrossed in a tv show. I've also let him cut a couple of my nails so that he can see it's not a big deal. It also helps that one time he was being a butt and wouldn't let me cut his toe nails, the next day it broke; it was jagged and scratched up his leg, so now he generally just comes to me when they start to get long.
othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I sit my youngest on my lap and let her watch cartoons while I do it. I used to paint her nails afterwards if she behaved

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)