Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

IMPACTED EARWAX

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM
  • 9 Replies

My four kids all have impacted ear wax.  My DH and I do not.  We use Q tips only once in a great while and don't push wax into the ear, only use to remove excess by the edge of the opening.  Our pediatrician said that each of them had so much that she couldn't see the ear drum.  She tried spraying out the earwax in the office and gave up after a while.  She prescribed ear drops to soften the wax.  I tried at home myself and dislodged huge amounts in our older two kids' ears.  She said that they were then really clean.  I got some out of my DD 3's ears, but the MD said she is still 70% plugged. Our 20 month old DD has full impacted earwax and the MD can't see her eardrum at all.  I bought over the counter sprayer to clean the ear, ear drops, and a bulb syringe.  Has anyone else had to deal with this?  I'm thinking if it's this bad, it's bound to keep reoccuring.  Only one of my brothers had to deal with this issue.

“Mothers are all slightly insane.”
― J.D. SalingerThe Catcher in the Rye

going crazy

by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mrs_Sweet
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:06 AM

At dd 12 month appt her ped said it was bad and just recommended being sure to run warm water directly over her ears in the bath while rinsing out her hair. Ever since, it has been fine. But it sounds like theirs is more of a problem. Have you seen an ENT?

ambergem
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:13 AM
My ped seemed to kind of give up on trying. I'm wondering about an ENT.

Quoting Mrs_Sweet:

At dd 12 month appt her ped said it was bad and just recommended being sure to run warm water directly over her ears in the bath while rinsing out her hair. Ever since, it has been fine. But it sounds like theirs is more of a problem. Have you seen an ENT?

Randi02
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:14 AM
Have you seen a chiropractor?
jendawgrox2004
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM

No, so bump!

wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM
My DH has this problem which he inherited from his mother. I have to clean his ears like 1x a month. We got a Murine kit that came with the drops and bulb syringe. It helps him greatly. He's dealt with it his whole life. His ears just produce an excessive amount of wax. He never uses qtips unless, like you said, there is an excess on the outer part of the ear canal. I'm thinking my dd3 will be dealing with this too. The dr had a tool- a curette- she used to clear out some of the wax one time but she hasn't had to again (fingers crossed).

"Blockage, or impaction, also occurs when the wax gets pushed deep within the ear canal. Earwax blockage affects about 6% of people and is one of the most common ear problems doctors see."
http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/ear-wax

Dokie kiddos put their fingers in their ears a lot?
katemckenzie
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Both DS and I deal with it often. We make A LOT of wax, and both get ear infections often. I use a curette to clean our ears most of the time, then rinse them out with a saline/rubbing alcohol mixture to dry up and clear out any lingering greasy wax.

Definitely see an ENT, and a chiropractor could help too.
Night_Roane
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM
The pedi recommended putting drops of peroxide in DD's ears when she was a baby and had hard wax.
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I get that.  I use over the counter hydrogen peroxide.  Drip some in, tilt my head to keep it there for five min or so, then let it run out.  It kinda dissolves the wax so it'll come out in bits.

Memere60
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM

i had that proablem repeatedly. The doctor kept telling me that the ear is a self cleaning organ, so I finally believed him, and did not allow any soap or water to get inside my ears when I showered. I have only had to have one of my ears cleaned out in several years. Maybe your kids are getting soap or water in their ears. I didn't think it was a big deal, but this worked for me. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN