Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 4yr old WON'T listen !!!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok, So I know the title pretty much explains it self but my goodness my 4 yr old daughter will not listen at all! She does when she feels like it and not when asked. She thows a tantrum if she doesn't get what she wants. Yes, I know she is a little spoiled but her grandpa and daddy.

Let me break it down:

My husband and I had to move in with my parent do to him and I getting laid off at our jobs we have 3 girls 4yr 2 yrs and a 1yr old we have been there for about 7 months trying to get back on our feet and my daughter Serenity(4yr old) goes to my dad for everything if we ask or tell her to do something, if we take something away from her, or doesn't get what she wants, anything we do that she feels she doesn't want to do she will go to him and want to get away from it. Now, the good thing my dad her grandpa doesn't give in to her and lets us discipline but the fact that whatever we do she says "I'm gonna tell grandpa" Or "No!" she even has the tendency to yell and give a scream when she gets mad for being told to do something and if not is getting something taken away.

We used to pank but that feel out seeing as it never worked and my hunny and I felt really bad for doing it, the time out thing doesnt seem to work because she loves going in it! and anything taken away doesnt bother her either. I know I can't be the only one, I love my daughter to death but I feel like I can't do anything right to get her to listen or act right.

Does anyone have any suggestions, any tips that will help!

thanks so much

by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
crazy4chapstick
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:49 PM

my daughter is 4 as well. some days she's so sweet and others she's a terror lol. taking toys away doesn't work. sending her to her room or turning off shows works for us.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 4 going on 5 and is that way some times too. One thing that works sometimes with her is giving her chores to do. i make her wash walls(which she now has decided is fun). I do do time out but have made it where she has to stand quietly facing the couner the whole time, she used to be allowed to sit.  It is good that your dad doesn't give in to her. Maybe when she goes to tell him he should just ignore her when she complains and walk her back to you. Also try rewarding and praising when she does behav. Maybe going to bed earlier too.

My daughter just had to go fto bed early last night for being a little bugger.

proud_mom3384
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM
My little girl just turned three and will not listen. These are some great ideas.

Quoting othermom:

My daughter is 4 going on 5 and is that way some times too. One thing that works sometimes with her is giving her chores to do. i make her wash walls(which she now has decided is fun). I do do time out but have made it where she has to stand quietly facing the couner the whole time, she used to be allowed to sit.  It is good that your dad doesn't give in to her. Maybe when she goes to tell him he should just ignore her when she complains and walk her back to you. Also try rewarding and praising when she does behav. Maybe going to bed earlier too.

My daughter just had to go fto bed early last night for being a little bugger.

Blue462
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 5:30 PM
You aren't the only one! My DS will be 4 next month and is really starting to test me too. Some days I just want to pull my hair out!
It probably makes things harder living with your parents too. I hope you guys can get back on your feet soon. Just keep doing what you're doing and hang in there!
faire_jour
by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM

She has been through an amazing upheaval and is acting out because of it. Continue to follow through CALMLY and she will see that you mean business and will start behaving again.

Momy2beAUG.2009
by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 6:01 PM
So I have a strong willed 4 year old daught also and had a suggestion from a friend to check out love and logic discipline. So I did and we have been trying it the last couple days and I've already seen an improvement in her attitude as well as mine. I feel a lot less flustered and she's listening a lot easier. Check it our. There's some stuff online but I borrowed a few books from the library and they've actually been quite interesting. Pm me if you have any questions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN