Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Do you overpack when you travel with your kid?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM
  • 8 Replies

Packing for a Toddler in 12 Simple Steps (PHOTOS)

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

packingUnderstatement of the year alert: Traveling with a toddler is a much different experience than traveling alone. For one, there's the whole "You're not really going to relax" thing. And then there's the packing.

To the naked eye (read: the childless person), packing for a child may seem like an easy task. They're so small, after all. What could they possibly require? Their clothes are so tiny. How much space could they possibly take up? But when you sit down and begin the dreaded task of getting all the stuff your little one needs together for a trip, it hits you: Man, this sucks!

Ever gone away with your kid? Then you can probably relate. Here are the 12 stages moms go through when packing for their toddlers. 

First, you're like, "I know what I'm going to do! I'm going to write a list!"

gif

Then, when you start writing the list, you realize that there's way more stuff to pack than you previously thought.

gif

Then you remember: Oh yeah, I've gotta stock up on my kid's favorite snacks.

gif

Then you remember: Oh yeah, and I've gotta pack diapers!

gif

You get the suitcase out and start trying to arrange everything in it. With each thing you pack, you wonder about something else. Should I bring her favorite stuffie? Should I bring her blanket? Should I bring her bed time book?

gif

You channel your inner minimalist and decide, Nah. I'm just going to bring the essentials.

gif

But then it dawns on you: What if your kid doesn't sleep without their favorite stuffie, blankie, and bed time book?

gif

Sweater in case it gets cold? Check. Two sweaters in case it gets cold and Sweater A is dirty? Check. Detergent to wash random sweaters? Check. Toiletries? Check. Toys for the plane ride? Check. The iPad? Oh, hell, it makes you bad mom, right, but if it keeps her quiet on the plane, mother-f*cking check!

gif

You think you're just about done, but then it dawns on you: Should I bring the stroller?

gif

And what about the car seat?

gif

Much to your husband's chagrin, you figure it's better to be safe than sorry and wind up packing the kitchen sink. And when you get to your destination, your kid has zero interest in going in her stroller.

gif

Happy traveling!

gif

Do you overpack when you travel with your kid?

Image © Flint/Corbis

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Definitely! I have a 17 month old. I pack two outfits per day. I never leave home without the stroller when I travel. I never know what we might be doing. Her clothes, fit in my suitcase. I only a couple of toys in her diaper bag. Thank goodness when we fly, I don't have to worry about a car seat anymore. My mom and brother bought cheap convertible car seat for when we visit.

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM
My son is 2 yr old so we are potty train him and we have not been out of town since this march so we took diapers and a few outfits and some toys too.
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, for sure. He's almost 4, but I still over-pack. Our last vacation was a 7 day cruise, so I took almost everything I could think of just to reduce the risk of needing to buy any essential on the ship or foreign country. I usually pack at least 2 changes of clothes for every day and throw in a few more shirts to cover any spills...lots of underwear, flushable wipes, meds, med spoons (depending on where we're going and the time of year, breathing meds/machine just in case) snacks, blankie, extra shoes, his toiletries, first aid kit, oh and the all important toys!  We've joked about laminating the TSA card and writing a note asking for the agent's autograph.  No kidding, every time we check toys on a flight, the bag gets hand screened by TSA. 

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I always over pack...shoot, we're just going to my moms sunday afternoon tgrough Wednesday lunch and I still have 7 outfits for each of the girls, I'll have their cozy plush animals, weighted blanket for the spd/pdd child, 3 pair of shoes 5 pair of underwear and 3 swim suits
lisahappymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup, my kids are 3 & 5, and I still keep a big diaper bag just for travel.  I try to pack everything but the kitchen sink - just in case!  Of course, whenever I get home, I think, "Wow, I didn't end up using half this stuff!"  You'd think I would learn, but nope.  I keep doing it.    ;-)

jencole88
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I usually don't have to worry about diapers, except for the trip there because I stay for about a week to a couple months. SO... I just buy the diapers there! Plus, I'm ALWAYS going to visit my mom, so I don't really have to worry about toys or toiletries. Sure I'll pack a couple for the trip, but that's about it. Clothes... special "comfort" items... and that's it! :D I suppose I'm pretty lucky in that department!

travel

ablox
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Yes, it's a safety issue
aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Always. I plan on 2 outfits per day, just in case. Plus shoes and bows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)