Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

*updated* Night terrors or something else? Advice please!!

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:36 PM
  • 5 Replies
Update: I have concluded these are middle of the night tantrums, not night terrors. Dh just got back from being away for 2 months. Last nights example- she wakes up screaming, I go to her room, she screams no to me and I think it's a night terror, dh goes in, she stops instantly and goes to a quiet cry asking for mommy. It takes him less than minute and she's back down. Before it would take me 45 min with uncontrollable screaming before I could get her back down. I guess we just have a strong-willed child on our hands!

So I feel like I've tried everything! Dd just turned 2, has never been much of a sleeper. Usually it has been stomach issues/gas, which a probiotic keeps under control. She's been sick about a month (cold..1st ear infection...another cold) and started these episodes of waking up in the middle of the night screaming uncontrollably and nothing I do helps. She doesn't want me to touch her (almost as if she's afraid) but doesn't want me to leave the room. I am having such a hard time determining if she is in some sort of pain or is having bad dreams. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice?? Thank you!
Her recent episode tonight she looked like she was in pain, and I gave her Tylenol, but it seems to do nothing so I'm at a loss.
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Briangel
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Tonight- when she first woke up screaming, she seemed incoherent to what was going on - kept saying "two hands", eventually calmed down and asked me to sing twinkle. But as she was falling asleep she occasionally arched back, kicking her legs and seemed so uncomfortable. But if I tried adjusting her, adding a blanket or taking away - it just seemed to make her mad. Help... Lol
sjoshea
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

This sounds exactly like a night terror to me.  The first time it happened I wigged out; I was trying desperately to wake my DS and calm him down (very wrong approach btw).  My DH came in and instead of freaking out, he stayed very calm and sat very quietly (near to DS but not necessarily touching him) until he calmed down.  We then gently guided him back to his bed, gave him a kiss, and walked out.  He would go straight back to sleep; no memory of the episode in the morning.

The night terrors for my DS usually happen when he is way over tired or is sick (cold or stomach flu).  He gets so upset, he sometimes throws up which can intensify/complicate things.  He has had so many of these over the years, we now know exactly how to handle them.  DS is now almost 5 y/o.

My advice is to immediately get down to her level, stay calm and make sure she doesn't hurt herself, e.g. get close to stairs, bang on windows, etc.  Just quietly 'shh' her and tell her is ok, "mommy/daddy" is here.  Incidently, they still freak me out!!  Good Luck! 

lilady73
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:05 AM
Def night terrors. Suggestions by sjoshea are great. They can most def be creepy,scary....neighbours once thought we were hurting our dd I.n middle of night. , most often they hit about same time as REM sleep, my daughter would always have them four hours in. Never attempt to wake, or embrace, nor use water to wake ie splashing on face. That can apparently be deadly.... Good luck!
CadillacCutie
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I thought my LO had them until I read all the replys on here. WOW, she must just have had very minor bad dreams. I'm at a loss for words atm.

Briangel
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Thank you for the responses/suggestions. Based on my research, a visit to the dr, and comments here I believe they are night terrors. They scare the crap out of me! I offer her things in a calm voice like a drink, or if I can come in her room, where she wants me to be etc. and she just screams "no" at everything, and looks as if she is in a daze. But once she snaps out of it, she has no recollection of what happened. Just earlier during the episode she was missing a sock and I offered it to her, of coarse she said no. But once the episode was over she was shocked and scared as to how her sock came off - she really had no clue I just asked her about it. The worst part of it is not being able to do anything to help. :( They did start about when she got an ear infection and she still has a lingering cough. I hope when she finally gets over what she has that hopefully these stop as well!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)