Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Homeschooling Question

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm looking for opinions from moms out there.  Would you have someone else home school your child?  Here's why I'm asking-- I'm opening a licensed daycare, have completed my teaching licensing basics exams and getting prepared for the areas of specialty exams to earn my teaching license.  I'm working towards my Master's degree in education and I will be homeschooling our children.  So I've been thinking a lot about this combination lately and the thought of offering homeschooling to their children occurred to me--and I really like the idea.  It would be like my dream job--at home!  But I'm wondering if other parents would be willing to have someone else teach their children.  What is your opinion?  What would you want to know before making the decision?  

This would be completely legal of course, and I think grades K-6 only.  

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I don't see why not...It's no different than sending them to school, right? A stranger teaches them there, too! As long as you're licensed to teach, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 14 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 10 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 6 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 2 years old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 18 years old (niece) 

Elibellamiah
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I would. A friend of mine is kind of doing that. She was homeschooling her own kids and then somehow how added 2 friends kids in. It was more like they formed their own co-op, but she did most of the teaching. One of the other parents made lunches for the kids and the other would drive them to things on Fridays. I initially thought she was asking me to join to and was super excited because I had been homeschooling but it wasn't going well and I didn't know what to do. But, it turned out to be a misunderstanding. My son is in a charter school now and that is working well for us, but I would have loved to have worked out some way where she was teaching him and I was paying or helping in some way. She is not licensed to teach elementary school, but she did go to school to be a high school math teacher, so she has some teaching experience.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:59 AM
No. I'm homeschooling so I can spend time with my kids, choose their curriculum, spend the time teaching them.......I also wouldn't want to deal with behavior issues from other kids and annoying parents.....but there are a few 'schools' like that here, one in San Francisco. I guess the parents take up to 6 or 8 kids? I wouldn't, but obviously some people would.

I do like the idea of co-ops and classes and there's one up the street from me that I like. They have classes 2 days a week, about 1-1.5 hours each, they offer a variety of activities, and you sign up only for what you want your child in. You can volunteer there to help with the cost of classes (usually about $150 for 10 weeks per child per class)
Firespirit13
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I think that is a great thing From my experience with homeschooled kids they seem to be much more intelectual than those in traditional public school.  I would love to find someone in my area who is doing that and work with tem because i have disability issues that are making it hard for me to homeschool  (luckilly we are just at preschool ages) But I have been talking with the kids in the local public school and talking with the teachers and I am not impressed in any way. 

AutymsMommy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

In many states it is not legal. You would essentially be a private school, not a homeschool (generally defined as the parent educating their child).

And no, as a homeschooler, I would not pay for someone else to do it. I homeschool to give my children an individualized education - something they aren't going to get in a group school, no matter what it's called.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

In many states it is illegal to homeschool anyone else's kids. If you offer school you then move to a private school situation not homeschooling situation so you have to research your state laws.

i have a friend I used to teach with who really wanted me to teach her grandson preschool along with my son (kindergarten) but I wasn't comfortable with doing that.

AutymsMommy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Quoting Molimomma:

In many states it is illegal to homeschool anyone else's kids. If you offer school you then move to a private school situation not homeschooling situation so you have to research your state laws.

i have a friend I used to teach with who really wanted me to teach her grandson preschool along with my son (kindergarten) but I wasn't comfortable with doing that.

This. I've considered at times that it would be nice to have another kindergartner at home with my middle son (I also homeschool a 12 year old daughter, and have a 2 year old son running around), but realistically I wouldn't be comfortable with it - there is no way I could teach everything on different levels, and still maintain the individualized education I desired for my children.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

breezy8445
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM
I would never home school my son I was home schooled for 6 years and hated it! However if I was going to I wouldn't want someone else teaching him but I would maybe hire a Tudor for extra help maybe that would be an option for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)