Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Oh i can already see school is going to be a fun ride

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am a SAHM of 3 my older two are 3 and 4 and enrolled for the local public school to start preschool this fall.  We went to the enrollment and I already know its going to be a fun year. My son is a very honest little guy and likes to ask a lot of questions so when a parent asked the teachers aid lady    "I thought this was a soda free school" (seeing the diet pepsi on her desk) the aid responded oh that rule is just for the kids. The other mom had this weird look on her face and all I could think is Hell no I dont want them learning from you, (do as I say not as I do). 

It doesn't help that my son chimes in and proceeds to tell this Aid exactly how toxic soda is and that it will make you die so you shouldn't drink it.   The teacher said something about that being rude and I had to tell her that its rude to have a soda for yourself and not for everyone (even thought we dont drink that crap and my son will dump them out when he sees them sitting around).  The teacher and the aid both just had that look like we would be the problem family this year.  This is going to be interesting. 

The teacher and the aid have to do "home visits", which to me is weird, before the school year and they will be coming here to observe my kids "in their environment"  I have a laundry list of questions to ask them and I have a feeling they are not going to like us very much. 

We are looking into the local charter school but they dont offer preschool and my kiddos are in need of the social time they get with preschool so we are planning to send them as long as we can until they can go next year to the charter since the charter doesnt offer preschool.

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:26 AM
4 moms liked this

Oh the horror. Your children may learn that adults are allowed to do things that children aren't.

Seriously - you were rude.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Firespirit13
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM

How am I rude to think the teachers are to be the examples the kids are to follow not the ones who teach them to do things that arent allowed

AutymsMommy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Just because something isn't allowed for the children, doesn't mean it isn't allowed for the adults. Do you expect the teachers to raise their hand and ask to potty, too?

Quoting Firespirit13:

How am I rude to think the teachers are to be the examples the kids are to follow not the ones who teach them to do things that arent allowed

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

When I taught kindergarten we used to do mandatory home visits that eventually got changed to phone calls and then just meet the teacher. It was done away with for OUR safety since some of the homes were in questionable/unsafe neighborhoods and the children being Kinders, we didn't know the home situation yet. The orginal idea was nice in that, you get to know the kids prior to school starting and you can see/understand their behavior based on your observations in the home. Questions are expected, most have questions but it really depends on your tone and attitude how they will be recieved. 

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I have to agree with the teachers. It's ok for me to drink a glass of wine with my supper, but it's not ok for my son to join in.

Kids have to learn that some things are ok for an adult and not ok for a kid. Choose your battles wisely. You may have more serious concerns to address with the teacher in the future. If you want to be taken seriously, wait until it's something important before you complain. Otherwise, the teacher will just think "here we go again."
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't forget she allowed her child to be rude too. He was backtalking to an adult and she didn't correct him.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Oh the horror. Your children may learn that adults are allowed to do things that children aren't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Word. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for children questioning authority... respectfully. You can question authority without being rude about it.

Soda will not kill you either, lol. It certainly isn't good for you, but it isn't going to kill you. Beyond that, I've actually had more than one doctor recommend soda in one form or another. I vaguely remember, in high school, if you complained of cramping or a headache, the first thing the school nurse did was grab a soda from the teacher's lounge and have you drink it :D

Quoting waytomanykids10: Don't forget she allowed her child to be rude too. He was backtalking to an adult and she didn't correct him.
Quoting AutymsMommy:

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I'm not a big soda drinker either but the last few days coca-cola has been my friend, lol. It works wonders for upset stomachs. And go figure, I'm still alive, lol.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Word. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for children questioning authority... respectfully. You can question authority without being rude about it.

Soda will not kill you either, lol. It certainly isn't good for you, but it isn't going to kill you. Beyond that, I've actually had more than one doctor recommend soda in one form or another. I vaguely remember, in high school, if you complained of cramping or a headache, the first thing the school nurse did was grab a soda from the teacher's lounge and have you drink it :D

Quoting waytomanykids10: Don't forget she allowed her child to be rude too. He was backtalking to an adult and she didn't correct him.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this
Teachers are adults. They can drink coffee or soda while at work.....or ice tea, or juice. They are also 'allowed' to use the microwave at lunch.

Kids aren't.

Teachers and aides are people too. If you are so concerned about their education, then go and pay for private preschool and a private elementary school (where, SURPRISE, the teachers can still drink soda or coffee and they can still make all the educational decisions for your kids).

You and your child were rude and I'd be concerned about having you as part of my class if I was a teacher
Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:51 AM

Yes, yes she did allow her son to be rude. Shame adults do not teach their children to respect their elders. 

BTW, OP, do you allow your son to say 'hell'?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)