Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

anyone have a lice problem with their kids? so frustrating!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
  • 11 Replies
Well it all started when my 4 year old daughter was 1. I noticed she was always scratching her head and I didn't know why so one day I just went through her hair and seen she had somethings in her hair at first I thought they were fleas but no it was head lice :( from then on she is constantly getting it. It goes away for a few months then comes back. Now my other daughter who is 3 is getting them too. We have tried everything from mayo in the hair to vinegar to olive oil to every head lice shampoo and I spent so many days going through their hair taking the disgusting things and their eggs out! Does anyone know of anything else I can do. I just feel so overwhelmed and I'm so tired of seeing my kids suffer with these things in their head. I've tried everything on my head too, even cut my long gorgeous hair super short. Are we the only ones going through this ?!?!
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM
I don't what race you are but tea tree oil is a common ingredient in African American hair products.

Tea Tree oil is considered a home remedy for preventing a killing lice.

I only mentioned race because I have no clue how other races handle hair care. African American children aren't as likely to get lice as other races.

Good luck
nickeeg2
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:06 PM
I'm Hispanic but I'll definitely try that ! Thank you.
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM
I would go to the ethnic hair store and see if they can help.

Quoting nickeeg2: I'm Hispanic but I'll definitely try that ! Thank you.
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Have you replaced all the pillows? I would throw out the pillows, but some super cheap ones, then throw those ones out when the kids are clear of the lice. Also think about getting your couch shampoo'd
nickeeg2
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Thank you ladies. Collinsmommy yes I've replaced their pillows as well as mine. I even moved out of the house I was living at thinking it could be because of the carpets. I heard of using dog shampoo for ticks and fleas but not sure if that would work n be safe for my kids either.
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
You must vacuum the floors and upholstery everyday and dump the canister or remove the bag outside the house, treat your home with flea or lice spray (they make some natural ones that aren't harmful to the kids), make sure you use a nit comb everyday for a week and retreat with lice treatment shampoo as necessary, you must also treat your car and car seats with spray and vacuuming, bag up all plush toys double bagged and put away for two weeks, wash all bedding daily and dry on high heat (pillows included in the dying on high heat) and vacuum/spray the box springs and mattresses everyday for at least a week. If they go to daycare or something they need to be aware of the situation so they can treat their facilities and check other children and get them treated
bekaanne0524
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
When I did foster care we had them in the house for months. It was such a relief to finally get rid of.

1. Use lice treatment once every 10 days. Use coconut oil every other day until you don't see any more lice or nits (put in coconut oil, let set 30 minutes, then go though hair with a metal lice comb). Use lice treatment one time after you think they're all gone.

2. Use lice spray on all carpet, furniture and car upholstery. Then vacuum at least once a day.

3. Put 6-8 drops of tea tree oil in everyone's shampoo. This won't kill the lice, but it will help to repel them. (I think this was the biggest help for us.) You can keep doing this for as long as you'd like.

4. Replace all hair ties, combs and brushes. Then everyone has a separate place for hair things.

5. No one shares pillows, hair ties, hats or coats. Try not to let people's heads touch.

6. Do laundry every day if possible, especially all bedding. Also, if possible, keep clothes out of bedrooms for a while. We kept the kids' clothes in the laundry room and got them out an outfit each morning.

You have to be very diligent in order to get rid of every last one.
Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:38 AM

omg my head itches after reading the dreaded 'L' word!

Bribriesmom
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Are you treating the bedding, carpet etc if not they will just stay
othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Do you treat their car seats, furniture in the house, check your own hair, wash bedding, ect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)