Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

eye exam for a 2 year old

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:01 AM
  • 14 Replies
Hey has anyone ever had their two year old eyes checked? If so how do they do it. My son has been rubbing his eyes and saying they hurt plus he blinks back to back alot now.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
berlgirl1224
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Yes, they check colors and ask numbers and letters
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Yes. It's not a letter chart, but rather a picture chart usually with pictures of common things they would know. DD had initially gotten her eyes checked at around 2 during a routine check-up and the chart had things like boats and flowers and stars and stuff...

EarlGrayHot
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM

They can look into their eyes even at that age.  Defintiely take him to a doctor.  Start with your pediatrician.

mommieof38829
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Thank you. My son doesn't know numbers and letter by looking at them yet. But we go next Friday to see about his eyes

Quoting berlgirl1224: Yes, they check colors and ask numbers and letters
mommieof38829
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay good cause he knows animals and objects really well

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Yes. It's not a letter chart, but rather a picture chart usually with pictures of common things they would know. DD had initially gotten her eyes checked at around 2 during a routine check-up and the chart had things like boats and flowers and stars and stuff...

mommieof38829
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:01 PM
I take him next Friday because school starts next week so everyone is pretty much fill this week. Thank you

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

They can look into their eyes even at that age.  Defintiely take him to a doctor.  Start with your pediatrician.

Bieg9093
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Depends on who is doing the exam...optometrist or opthamologist?

bekaanne0524
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:21 PM
With my 3 and 5 year olds they used symbols. They also had a card so if the kids couldn't say the name of the symbols they could point to them. Then they turned on a short video and watched how my kids' eyes reacted to watching the video through different lenses. They dilated my kids' eyes and repeated both tests. They also watched the kids' eyes as they followed objects.

Our pediatric optometrist was great and able to figure out that my 5 year old needs reading glasses and my 3 year old needs regular glasses. I was really impressed with the whole process.
JoanahLee
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Yes.  I had to take a two year old in who was not developmentally able to point to the pictures and name them or do the color chart. They just looked in his eyes with some different lenses and machines. They gave him a sucker and he was chill.  

deccaf
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:59 PM
I wish I had done it sooner. I took her in May and found out she can't see anything really from one eye. She now has glasses, and has to wear a patch for all but one hour a day. There will be a surgery to correct one eye that turns in. They do a matching game for kids that can't read. I would highly suggest taking him in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)