Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Over eating

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM
  • 19 Replies
I need advice. I have a 1 1/2 boy. My mother in law had him for a few days. She kept bragging that he ate 3 hot dogs in addition to macaroni and cheese and corn. To me that's way too much food! I usually give him 1 hot dog along with small portions of sides. I voiced my concern to my husband and he said my step daughter and niece ate the same way. However, they've always been over weight. My mother in law instantly said I am obviously starving my child. Am I under feeding my children? How do I address this with my mother in law?
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ANewMe0812
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
That is a lot of food for a 1 1/2 year old. Maybe she was encouraging him to keep eating or maybe he just so happened to be ridiculously hungry at that time. I'm a firm believer of people handling their own parents, so your husband should mention something to her.
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM

don't give him that crap! it will only make him obese and unhealthy! make him overeat healthy foods!

LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:13 AM

If she does it once in awhile I would let it go (1 or 2 times a year).  If it is more often than that, give her instructions on what to feed him.

My 1 year old (14.5 months) self regulates.  We put things in front of him and when he's done, he's done.  He tries to tell you he's done and if you don't listen/understand then he throws his food.  There are days when I wonder how he can eat so much but then there are other days when he hardly eats anything at all.

Maybe you (and/or DH) can talk to her and remind her that you let your son self-regulate, but you only give him small portions of fatty food.  If he still seems hungry, give him veggies or fruit.

PeachQuean
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:07 AM
All my kids were born with huge appetite.
And one thing I learned is that if they are not hungry they won't eat. And won't eat too much.

Although I don't give my kids hot dogs, and definitely not at that age (hot dogs are the second most deadliest foods for kids under 5/6) not my reason.for not giving it tho lol

Anyways, my kids would devour large portions if food every day and they are all.small kids.

Just remind her you don't feed her that much at once. And would like smaller portions when she's feeding her.
ablox
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:21 PM
I put small portions and if she wants more she'll ask. That's a lot of food
LadyBugMom09
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:35 PM
That is too much food for an 18 mo old. She's over feeding him and I wouldn't allow her to continuously teach him bad eating habits.

If my kids are hungry after an appropriate amount of protein, they can eat more veggies or a fruit. If they're still hungry after that, I'll give them half a serving of protein and that's it.

My DH and I have struggled with weight all our lives and don't want to pass that onto our kids. My MIL is also very pushy with food and we set that boundary right away.
Marti123
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:42 PM
This is huge pet peeve of mine, your MIL is wrong, so wrong and is increasing your child's risk for obesity. I literally would not leave my child alone with her if she couldn't respect my wishes. My DD will need 1 1/2 oz of protein, a cup of fruit, 3/4 cup of veggies, and then her milk and 2-3 servings of grains, from age 1-2. Stick with your maternal instincts and personally at this point I would pack your DSs food servings. 3 hot dogs, even with no bun or sides is nearly over HALF of his recommended daily recommended calories at ONE sitting! And praising a child for ignoring full feelings and stuffing themselves = horrible!
polkaspots
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM
I feed my kids on demand. I only limit junk food. That being said I can't imagine a child eating that much on his own. He was most likely pushed to eat that much. I wouldn't trust her again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM
My 2 year old could eat that much. He usually barely touches his supper but loves hot dogs and maccaroni. He would probably eat the same if I let him.
svolkov
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Thats too much. Too much food and too much junk. My 2 yo eats a lot for her age. She had two kid sized bowls of split pea soup. A piece of cornbread ...then after dinner ate blueberries and half a banana. Shes super thin and has a crazy metabolism. If dinner was hot dogs and macaroni id allow half a hot dog and a small serving of macncheese then offer fruits amd veggies if still hungry
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)