Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Did They Learn the Alphabet?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:12 AM
  • 27 Replies
I know I run the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, but I am genuinely curious; my two year old knows the alphabet.I wanted to know when your children learned it?

My favorite part is hearing how she pronounces each letter, and how excited she is to say them!
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iansmommy9
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:51 AM

DS could recite numbers to 17 and the alphabet when he was 2, but actually beginning to learn letter recognition came when he was about 3 1/2.  He's 4 next month and is still improving his letter/number recognition skills. He can identify his first and last name on a list, cubby marker etc, but there are still letters he confuses.

You should not get rote memory (memorization) confused with learning pre-reading skills.

booaura
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:56 AM
My two year old is working on it, and my four year old had learned it by three.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wife-4-life
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:58 AM
My dd1 was 2 when she could count to 10 and say her ABCs and 3 when she could recognize all of them by sight.

My dd2 will 3 in 2wks and can count to 10 and knows half of her ABCs by sight and can recite all of them.
aimesnyc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:02 AM

He's been singing the alphabet song since before he turned two, and can count to 20 in English and Chinese.  He'll be 3 in October.

uatw14
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Actually, it's really weird. My daughter is 2.5 and can recognize all the letters...that's good, but I can't take any credit for it. I constantly sang the abc's to her, but never thought about showing the letters. She learned to recognize all her letters from her little leaptop laptop thing. I didn't know she actually comprehended what was being said on the toy lol.
Blue462
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM
DS is going on 4. He can recognize all the letters but can't recite or sing the song right. I think that's awesome for 2. You should be proud.
Glitter-Cat
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I definitely am! I bet the way he sings it is really cute though!

Quoting Blue462: DS is going on 4. He can recognize all the letters but can't recite or sing the song right. I think that's awesome for 2. You should be proud.
Glitter-Cat
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:47 PM
It's amazing, isn't it? How toys are actually are good for learning! I didn't think she was comprehending certain things, but she is.

Quoting uatw14: Actually, it's really weird. My daughter is 2.5 and can recognize all the letters...that's good, but I can't take any credit for it. I constantly sang the abc's to her, but never thought about showing the letters. She learned to recognize all her letters from her little leaptop laptop thing. I didn't know she actually comprehended what was being said on the toy lol.
Glitter-Cat
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Impressive! We are also teaching get another language. It's great for them,I think.

Quoting aimesnyc:

He's been singing the alphabet song since before he turned two, and can count to 20 in English and Chinese.  He'll be 3 in October.

Glitter-Cat
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:48 PM
That's wonderful!

Quoting wife-4-life: My dd1 was 2 when she could count to 10 and say her ABCs and 3 when she could recognize all of them by sight.

My dd2 will 3 in 2wks and can count to 10 and knows half of her ABCs by sight and can recite all of them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)