Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Potty Training A Boy!

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:00 AM
  • 13 Replies

My little guy turned 2 back in June and has gotten to the point where he can remove his own clothing. Well, four days ago, I decided it was time for him to learn and use the potty. Day one, he was only in his big boy underwear for three hours because I didnt buy them until later in the evening. He had one accident but also peed in the potty once.

Day 2, he spent 6 hours in big boy underwear. He had no accidents and went on the potty once. He would have stayed in his underwear longer but we ended up having to go somewhere and I didnt wanna risk him having an accident.

Day 3 was horrible. He had a total of four accidents. He was fine, no accidents, until he got in his pool. I'm assuming he probably swallowed alot of water. I ran out of clean underwear so I put him back in his diaper.

He does NOT ask to go potty. I have to keep an eye on him and watch. If he starts fidgeting real bad or pulling at himself, I ask if he has to use the potty and he will say no but i put him on it anyway. He will sit on the potty by himself but he forgets to pull down his underwear first...that's how the first accident happened.

So, does anyone have any tips? I know it's gonna take time.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toriandgrace
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
For one, I think it's possible that he is a bit young. I strongly believe that potty training before a child is ready is a nightmare and not worth the struggle. I believe in putting the child on the potty every 20-30 minutes until they are going on their own. I also did bare bottom training and did not go back to diapers at all. I do not use pullups except at night or naps.
JenniferMiller0
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I honestly think he is ready for the potty. He's been showing lots of interest in the one in the bathroom for quite some time. I think maybe he's got in confused with a regular chair? Because he will sit on it with his clothes on and read books/play daddy's Wii U. It's just getting him to go to the bathroom in it.

The only reason we are using diapers for nighttime is because pullups are extrememly expensive where I live. Plus, we have like another unopened box of diapers.

Quoting toriandgrace: For one, I think it's possible that he is a bit young. I strongly believe that potty training before a child is ready is a nightmare and not worth the struggle. I believe in putting the child on the potty every 20-30 minutes until they are going on their own. I also did bare bottom training and did not go back to diapers at all. I do not use pullups except at night or naps.

CafeMom Tickers

Serabeth06
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

My son didn't start telling me he had to potty until 6 months into potty training (when he'd already really mastered it and was going on his own.) We bought him a potty watch on Amazon to get him started, it goes off every 30 minutes to remind him it's time to potty, and he'd go sit on the potty. He never really liked the baby potty, though, so he did better when he was put on the actual potty. It just takes time and patience.

yumiko212
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Honestly, for my son, it was hard at first...but what I did was I put the underwear on under the diaper. That seemed to work and eventually he got to the point where he would ask to go to the bathroom because he didn't like the feeling of the wetness. He just turned 3 and it 100% potty trained. We no longer have diapers and he hasn't had an accident in a few months. Maybe you should try that. I honestly think it works.

Keda84
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM
This is all new to him so give him time. When I was potty training my boy I did no diapers until bed time didn't matter if we were going out. Took about 2 weeks for them to be fully potty trained.
StaciF
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Honestly when my two boys were ready they flat out potty trained themselves. They were both trained by 2.5 without me doing much of anything!
Marti123
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My DSs showed interest as young as 18 months in potty, but were no where near ready. And I read all the posts & setbacks, so I didn't want all that hassle, work, accidents for months, training myself, I chose to wait until they were ready, they each just "got it little after 3." So they just essentially woke up, put on big boy pants and were like, "I'm going to use the potty" my response "great son" and that was that, no training involved.

Good luck though, he'll catch on soon hopefully!
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

If he's only having 4 accidents on day 3, you're probably on the right track. I haven't begun to potty train DS yet (he's only 16 months), but keeping DD in underpants (and putting a diaper on over the underpants if we were going out) made training pretty quick. It also made for a few of weeks of doing lots of laundry. She was day and night trained for the most part by 20 months.

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I am going to try that and see if it works. He had three accidents yesterday and he ran out of dry underwear! Today, once he has his third accident, the diaper will go on over the underwear he is wearing until he has another dry pair.

Quoting yumiko212:

Honestly, for my son, it was hard at first...but what I did was I put the underwear on under the diaper. That seemed to work and eventually he got to the point where he would ask to go to the bathroom because he didn't like the feeling of the wetness. He just turned 3 and it 100% potty trained. We no longer have diapers and he hasn't had an accident in a few months. Maybe you should try that. I honestly think it works.

CafeMom Tickers

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Oh wow. I know I should have started potty training earlier but I honestly didn't see the point at that age. I would really like him potty trained by three. Mainly because there is this class at our church just for kids but she won't take him unless he is potty trained. I'm sure he would have a blast!

And then there is the price of diapers. Hubby buys them in bulk so we only buy them once a month.

Quoting mrsniebo:

If he's only having 4 accidents on day 3, you're probably on the right track. I haven't begun to potty train DS yet (he's only 16 months), but keeping DD in underpants (and putting a diaper on over the underpants if we were going out) made training pretty quick. It also made for a few of weeks of doing lots of laundry. She was day and night trained for the most part by 20 months.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN