Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My little guy turned 2 back in June and has gotten to the point where he can remove his own clothing. Well, four days ago, I decided it was time for him to learn and use the potty. Day one, he was only in his big boy underwear for three hours because I didnt buy them until later in the evening. He had one accident but also peed in the potty once.

Day 2, he spent 6 hours in big boy underwear. He had no accidents and went on the potty once. He would have stayed in his underwear longer but we ended up having to go somewhere and I didnt wanna risk him having an accident.

Day 3 was horrible. He had a total of four accidents. He was fine, no accidents, until he got in his pool. I'm assuming he probably swallowed alot of water. I ran out of clean underwear so I put him back in his diaper.

He does NOT ask to go potty. I have to keep an eye on him and watch. If he starts fidgeting real bad or pulling at himself, I ask if he has to use the potty and he will say no but i put him on it anyway. He will sit on the potty by himself but he forgets to pull down his underwear first...that's how the first accident happened.

So, does anyone have any tips? I know it's gonna take time.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Replies (11-13):
Shelbypb
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
He might not be ready yet. My ds will be 4 in November and just the last 2 ish months has he decided he was ready to use the potty. He has done amazing and pretty much all on his own. I very rarely have to ask him if he has to go and no night time accidents at all. It will be so much easier if you wait until your child is truly ready
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
baby development
JenniferMiller0
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM

He has shown interest in in, sitting on with his clothes on, and yesterday he actually starting pulling his underwear down in front of his potty himself. I finished pulling his underwear and he sat on the potty and went. I am not really pushing it though. If he is ready, then he is ready. If not, then we will wait.

Quoting Shelbypb: He might not be ready yet. My ds will be 4 in November and just the last 2 ish months has he decided he was ready to use the potty. He has done amazing and pretty much all on his own. I very rarely have to ask him if he has to go and no night time accidents at all. It will be so much easier if you wait until your child is truly ready

CafeMom Tickers

yumiko212
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, now that you are potty training your son, you should go to Target or where ever and buy a few packs of underwear and honestly, I bought them a little big so he could have them even after he was done potty training. Oh and also, another thing I did, when I went to go buy my son his underwear I let him pick out the pair, and it's usually of something they like, and I just told him that (at the time he liked Thomas) that "Thomas didn't like to get peed" on and that if he wants to continue wearing Thomas, that he would have to go pee in the toilet and that seemed to help.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

I am going to try that and see if it works. He had three accidents yesterday and he ran out of dry underwear! Today, once he has his third accident, the diaper will go on over the underwear he is wearing until he has another dry pair.

Quoting yumiko212:

Honestly, for my son, it was hard at first...but what I did was I put the underwear on under the diaper. That seemed to work and eventually he got to the point where he would ask to go to the bathroom because he didn't like the feeling of the wetness. He just turned 3 and it 100% potty trained. We no longer have diapers and he hasn't had an accident in a few months. Maybe you should try that. I honestly think it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)