Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boosters *ETA*

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM
  • 24 Replies
What is the law/requirements for kids to move from car seat to booster? I had gotten a mailer for my dd2- it talks about 3yo milestones & stuff. It mentioned she might be ready for a booster. I'm not ready to move her to a booster but my dd1 who is 4 is outgrowing her car seat. Which is good because dd3 is just about ready to go to the convertible seat dd1 is in.

What is a good booster to use after a kiddo out grows her car seat?

***ETA- Ok, so I may get bashed but why is it most would wait until 5 or 6 to put a child in a high back booster if the req is 4 & 40? I get not doing it if they're not 40lbs yet but why wait 1-2yrs more if they meet reqs? It's just a question. I want to make sure I'm fully educated before making a final decision. Thanks ladies!! :)
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I just got a basic booster from walmart for my kids. My older kids used one with a back, my youngest uses a backless, but in our van we can adjust the seatbelts to fit lower. She is also big for her age.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

3yrs is way to young to be into a booster seat whoever sent out those flyers needs to update their information that is scary they are sending out info like that!  As far as boosters go my 5yr old is currently in a Evenflo Amp and a Sunshine Kids(now Diono) Monterey Booster I always use a HBB as long as possible.  I like the SK booster better because it is beefier and is taller then the Evenflo but my dd actually prefers the Evenflo. 

toriandgrace
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe it's 4 and 40 where I live. We moved my daughter to a high back booster at 6.5 because she broke her arm and couldn't safely be harnessed. My son is three and I don't plan to move him for several more years. We used a Graco Nautilus for our daughter.
Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM

For that age they should be in a high back booster at minimum if her car seat that she's in now allows her height and weight to still be in it keep her in it no rush to take he out 

wife-4-life
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM
My 4yo's head is to the top of the back of the car seat. Another growth spurt and she'll be over it.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

For that age they should be in a high back booster at minimum if her car seat that she's in now allows her height and weight to still be in it keep her in it no rush to take he out 

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
4 AND 40 pounds, must be both.

My 3 year old is in a forward facing harnessing seat (a Britax) that will harness him to 65 pounds and turn into a booster when necessary, likely when he is 6 or 7
Molimomma
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 4.5 and still harnessed in his Britax car seat. He's a lightweight though and only weighs 34lbs on a good day. He's getting to the top of the height range so I'm shopping for a booster that starts with a harness and converts to the seatbelt later.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this
4 AND 40 is the minimum, but they shouldn't be boostered until around 5-6.
mommaFruFru
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Y4 and 40 is the Minimum.
M boys were both about 5.5 and they went to a dedicated high back booster.

The e are plenty of seats on the market with higher harness slots if your children are outgrowing theirs.
waytomanykids10
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Personally I would buy a higher harnessed seat that can be used as a booster later. No way would I put a child under the age of 5 in a booster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)