Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

alternate dinner for toddler

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM
  • 23 Replies
Ok so tonight for dinner we made sausage and pepper sandwiches it turned out to spicy for my son (2 1/2). So I basically fed him some of the peppers a small bowl of cereal and a banana for dinner. My friend told me how she would never feed her kids cereal for dinner and basically called me lazy. What's your thoughts on it?
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I offer what we are eating. Right now, I also add extras to his meal if he doesn't like the main course - generally healthy stuff, like he can have fresh fruits and veggies, or toast with almond butter.

Once he's older, his choice will be to eat our meal or he can make himself an almond butter & jelly sandwich. A friend of mine did this when her kids were growing up - it meant they were able to eat something and it was no extra work for her - she taught her kids around age 5 how to make it and they are responsible for clean up of making it.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I don't ever give them something else unless the whole thing is a massive flop for everyone. That's happened like twice ever. I don't do spicy but if I did then that would be another extenuating circumstance. For the situation you described, I think you are good. For run of the mill "picky" eating don't ever go down that slippery slope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
breezy8445
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Oh believe I don't he eats what we eat and he's not a picky eater it was just really spicy even for me and I love spicy foods.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: I don't ever give them something else unless the whole thing is a massive flop for everyone. That's happened like twice ever. I don't do spicy but if I did then that would be another extenuating circumstance. For the situation you described, I think you are good. For run of the mill "picky" eating don't ever go down that slippery slope.
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:55 AM
I think since it turned different than expected, and spicy it was fine, my kids like spicy (from Louisiana and have always eaten spicy stiff) but not everyone does
DisabledVet
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:06 PM

HJe got feed and there is nothing wrong with cereal as long as it's not too sugary. You might try mayo to cut the spiciness.

Dabna
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I have a picky eater, and the doctor said as long as he's eating and not filling up on junk, what he's eating and when isn't much of a concern. If eating cereal for supper is lazy, then sign me up. I love cereal! lol

breezy8445
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Huh never heard of using mayo good to know I'll try it sometime

Quoting DisabledVet:

HJe got feed and there is nothing wrong with cereal as long as it's not too sugary. You might try mayo to cut the spiciness.

breezy8445
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Exactly. It was late he was tired I just wanted to give him something quick. I also needed to go grocery shopping so I didn't have a ton of options.

Quoting Dabna:

I have a picky eater, and the doctor said as long as he's eating and not filling up on junk, what he's eating and when isn't much of a concern. If eating cereal for supper is lazy, then sign me up. I love cereal! lol

schultzal
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
If we have something that is too spicy for my daughter, she will still eat the veggies/other side dishes, but I will also give her something like a cheese stick, wheat crackers, or fruit, if she wants more food. I see nothing wrong with what you did.
breezy8445
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 6:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Thank you, I didn't think it was that big of deal it's not like I fed him cookies or sent him to bed hungry.

Quoting schultzal: If we have something that is too spicy for my daughter, she will still eat the veggies/other side dishes, but I will also give her something like a cheese stick, wheat crackers, or fruit, if she wants more food. I see nothing wrong with what you did.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN