Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Children bathing themselves

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have a 3yr old son, and a soon to be 5 yr old daughter [09/03], and I was wondering at what age do you allow your children to stay in the bath tub alone and allow them to learn privacy ,that way, and allow them to have the respaonsibility of washing them selves, hair included, all by themselves?

I am in no way trying to rush things, but Ive got no idea and I dont want my child to hit that age and me still bathing them because Mama aint gotta clue! :)

TIA Ladies!

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Scarpetta71
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:57 AM

Im not exatally sure, but i'm presuming that staying close to the bathroom and with the door ajar about 7 

smjones85
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:31 AM
It's all up to your child's maturity level. My daughter was 5 but I still checked on her. I did what felt right.
Ashley__Nicole
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Thanks ladies, my dd is very mature and has asked and shown she knows how to do it, just curious.
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:34 AM

It all depends on the child. My 4yo does it all on her own but yet my 8yo dd can't be left at all and still needs to be washed. My 9yo dd needs help with her hair but does everything else. My 8yo ds, 10yo ds, and 12 yo ds, do it all on their own and have been for a while now.

Jade_Lynn
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:52 AM
Ds is 4 and I let him play in the tub. He washes his hair, drains the tub, dries off and gets pajamas on, brushes his teeth puts his towel.in the laundry than its bedtime.
freedommoments
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly it depends on the child's age and ability. My older child can take care of everything on her own (from filling the tub right on through to draining it) at 6 years old. The door must always be wide open and I stay close as they can still easily get in trouble. I started by letting them do all the washing on their own in my presence, then moved on to leaving them alone for a few minutes. Then I taught them how to fill and drain the tub. They still need supervision but not as closely as when they were younger.

My 4 year old can wash herself from hair to toe but she also has short hair so it is easier then trying to wash longer hair
Ashley__Nicole
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Thank you mamas! I think I will start letting my 5 yr old continue to wash herself and have a little more freedom while keeping the door wide open.
KChinapps
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I think it all depends on the child and when you're comfortable to leave them alone in the tub. 

smorgan865
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Yep, my 5 year old (turned 5 in March) starting asking to wash himself sometime over the summer. Just his body though. Getting his head wet is a struggle do I still do that. BUT he's been trying to get his own hair wet, so that may be changing.

We use body poofs, or the J&J bath buddies soap and it makes it really easy to get good suds to wash himself.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)