Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: At what age do I stop wiping my son after he goes poop

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM
  • 15 Replies

At what age do I stop wiping my son after he goes poop and let him do it for himself? He is three and has been potty trained for almost 4 weeks but I still wipe him after he goes poop to make sure that he gets fully cleaned. When should I stop doing this and let him fuily clean himself.

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Night_Roane
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM
DD was about 5 1/2 before I stopped worrying about skid marks. I kept reiterating to wipe the front then the back and to wipe until there was no more poop on the tp.

The flushable wipes really helped her finish the job.

From other parents that I've talked to, it's very normal to do #2 clean-up after they've wiped until 5 or 6.
LittleRed80
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM
I wonder this too. My son is 3 1/2 and is about to start preschool next month and he can't wipe himself. I've been trying to teach him, but he just isn't getting it.
Elegy
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I made mine wipe herself as soon as she started using the potty. Then I'd clean up after her. Didn't take long before she got the hang of it well enough that she was getting most of it herself. The hardest part was making sure she really got in there, you know? And to check and see if there was any poop on the wipe and if so get another wipe. But she pretty much can clean herself now after just a few months. But I'm starting to think that is not typical, I have friends who are still wiping their kindergarteners. 

CheerioHolder
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Depends on the child. All kids are different. Whenever he's capable of doing it himself is the right time to stop doing it for him. That could be now or in a couple years.

My suggestion would be to have him wipe after himself first THEN you wipe him. That way you will know how well he is cleaning up himself. 

KatieJumonville
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
My ds is almost 5, he went camping w Grandma and came home wiping his own butt. Before that he refused to do it. Yay Grandma!
enjoylife2day
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Quoting KatieJumonville: My ds is almost 5, he went camping w Grandma and came home wiping his own butt. Before that he refused to do it. Yay Grandma!

/that is an excellent success story. I am so excited for you.

Serabeth06
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:46 AM

With my DS3 I'm doing the same thing I did with my DD, I have him wipe himself after he goes, then I do a "spot check" wipe, to make sure he got it all. When he consistently gets himself clean on his own, I'll stop wiping him.

HopesNDreams
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM

When I taught preschool, we assisted the children in the three year old rooms, but not in the four year old rooms - most kids could do it pretty well by then. Flush able wipes are a great way to help kids learn this skill!

ilovemykids732
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

with my 4 year old, I still do it... I am going to start teaching him how to do it on his own though... First step is NOT taking half of the roll of toilet paper to wipe which is his normal thing when he tries to wipe... =_=

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM
My dd was really good at it early. My oldest son is awful! He's 7 1/2 and still ends up with the dirtiest butt. I have no idea what goes on before he sits on the toilet. For really messy ones he'll still ask for help but he's been pretty independent since K (he's going into 2nd). I bought plain white undies so I could bleach the skid marks and not worry about ruining "good" underwear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN