Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: I m getting very discouraged where potty training is concerned...

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM
  • 23 Replies

I'm getting very discouraged where potty training is concerned. My daughter will be 3 in February. Seems as though all her friends her age are trained or about to be. She has gone before and now she has become very stubborn about it and refuses to. Any suggestions? I've tried stickers, bubbles, coins for her piggy bank.  And just when I think it's going to work, nope. BUT..... she will go to the little potty at the mall or at church. And we start preschool in 2 weeks and I was so hoping we would be close to trained. :(

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lonelymoon
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:24 PM
I'm potty training my ds 20mo. He gets m&ms. He is willingly using the potty as I am so shocked because he is very young, especially for a boy. Have you tried candy? My oldest was obsessed with trains, so I told him when he can potty like a big boy we will take a train ride. That worked wonders! What does she absolutely love?
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM

All I can offer is encouragement I felt the exact same way. In fact I've never felt despair like I did trying to potty train my son. Tears were shed. I tried every trick in the book. Every time I read one of those "teach your child to use the potty in a weekend" things I wanted to cry more. My son was finally trained at 4.5 so don't feel bad or hopeless since she's only 3! I can't really offer advice because you've tried the usual tricks and she has gone before so you know she understands the how and what of using the potty. She WILL get it when she wants to. The only thing I really learned was you can't force potty using, once they know how it is truly up to them to do it.

haughtymomof3
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Thanks girls!  She loves the mickey mouse ride at Toys are Us, so she gets coins when she goes to the potty. I even try to explain it to her. But she wants the coins just for sitting on the potty and not doing anything. Which I don't know if that's a smart idea and I don't want to confuse her.  My son was 5 when he was trained, but was a different story b/c he's a special needs child. My daughter is just so stubborn. lol  And I know she knows to go. When she has to potty, she will go off and hide and gets mad if I try to get her to the bathroom. 

aimesnyc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I don't know.  We haven't used rewards with my son (3 in Oct).  I just picked a long holiday weekend (I work FT) when we didn't have plans, and let him pretty much go naked from the waist down the entire weekend except during naps and bedtime.  If he peed on the floor, we said "no pee pee on the floor, pee pee in the potty."  He caught on pretty quickly.  I think what really helped was the first time he actually peed on the toilet.  I was SO ridiculously excited and it showed...lol.  I yelled "YAY!  Pee pee on the potty!" while smiling and clapping.  He loved that it made me so happy.  I think that teaching them that it is a good thing by using positive reinforcement is better than teaching them that they will get some sort of reward (stickers, candy, money) if they go. 

haughtymomof3
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM
We do celebrate and cheer when she does decide to go. The rewards are just a bonus. :) She did go this evening before her bath! She did our potty dance around the bathroom and then she picked out a sticker and put it on her potty chart. Mommy was happy!!! But even if she goes in the bathroom and doesn't use it, I still praise her for coming and sitting on it.
Claudia523
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:02 AM

My daughter was also potty trained really early, but she HATED having a wet diaper. We took her to the store and let her pick out her "big girl" underware. And she wore those durring the day so she could feel when she needed to go potty. And I would sit her on the potty just about every hour and we would read her potty training book. But she caught on really quickly.  Good Luck to you and your daughter.

athorne09
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:41 AM

My daughter is not fully potty trained yet. When she does go I sing her the song "When you Have to Go Potty" from Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and she lives it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdQeysLFpgE

Here is a link to a video I found on YouTube. I have the song downloaded on my iPhone and it was only 99 cents.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
She seems quite young. Average age is 3 1/2. DS will be 3 in March. We are following his lead, no need to push it.
haughtymomof3
by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:49 AM
Today was actually a pretty good day. She was willing to pee pee, but not potty. In fact she went in the pull up, and then wanted to put it in the toilet. We worked our way through it. I even set an alarm on my phone to go off every 45 minutes and it tells us when to go if she doesn't been yet. She loved that!!!
Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM

We tried at 2 &1/2, major fail. Tried monthly, nothing. Finally, last month, exactly 4 weeks until school started, he potty trained (at 3 & 1/2)! I think when they're ready they're ready!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN