Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Activities to keep toddler occupied in the car?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM
  • 8 Replies

The Stir is looking for activities to keep toddlers occupied during long car rides-they can be products, or just fun games you can play with your kids like "I spy."  What are some fun ways you keep your little ones entertained on car rides?

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PeppyInPink
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Little guy has recently enjoys bringing a small tote of Lego's with him.

A friend of mine had a 31 gifts bag filled with the packets from the target one spot coloring packets, it's like a zip lock pack with crayons, a small coloring booklet and stickers, the kids loved it. She also had books and some small toys in it as well. 

XOXOnBubbles
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

A lap tray, dollar store cookie sheet & magnets.  You can get letter magnets, shapes, or magnetic paper dolls etc.  

Cheap toys wrapped in aluminum foil that they get to open at specific intervals during the trip to give them something new to play with.  

Kids songs on CD that you can sing along to.  

Look for something orange, red, etc. (or something that starts with the letter A, B, etc. depending on child's age).  

My kids also LOVE stickers.  You can give them some paper too, but plan on pealing stickers off of everything that was in your child's reach when you get home.  LOL

Books, DVDs, snacks, and kid friendly apps on your tablet or phone.  

jessi2girls
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM

This summer my uncle has had several appointments.. and  annoying the waitingroom area with the kids (since they are out of school right now) that are going to get bored after an hour or so (appointments are unpredictable on time length, some we have made it out after 30 mins, others have taken up to 3 or once 4 hours, and of course, everywhere in between lol). ....

We instead typically wait in the van. (AC, on when it's a warmer day, however we live in western NY, so it hasn't been overly hot here). 

Activities to keep them occupied.. 

1-bring toys! lol. They've brought their my little pony dolls, purses with different toys (play keys, and I pack a little frisbee to use as a steering wheel, play phone, play credit cards and such), coloring books, activity books, books to read.. although the magnetic drawing boards are typically best for the car if you are driving.. 

2-if it's a long drive (like we took for our family vacation).. we brought the portable dvd player.

3-  ABC "I SPY"..  I started this game with my oldest when she was around two.  As we drive around to run errands or going on a longer trip, we start with the letter "a" and try to both spy something along the way that starts with that letter.. "a" airplane in the sky (has to be something we can see, though lol). And we play all the way to the letter "z". (some letters are much harder than others! lol.. so for those letters, like "Q", we accept answers like "quick moving car". ),   We've also have played this game using colors, and shapes as well.. (although we try to be more specific with the colors, like sticking to homes of that color, or cars).

5- Counting animals.. we try to count how many horses or homes (if we are in the country)..

6-Snacks and drinks are always helpful because kids can get moody. 

7- Stop along the way.. there are LOTS of different things to entertain the kids.. just a quick stop to stretch their legs and run for a minute and enjoy the scenerio can mean the difference between and enjoyable car ride and one where you want to pull your hair out!

cutestmom24
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM
When my dd and i went to disney with my friend and her kids.i packed my dd her leap frog,coloring books and crayons and her plush wolf.the 3 hr car ride wasn't that bad.
auntangelofsix
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Mine has a army man and some cars he plays with.
MinglingMom
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:08 PM
My daughter loves the mini-magna doodle for road trips. She's also perfectly happy with books.
Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Nap while Mommy and Daddy drive (we usually drive at night, or evening so he can eat and if he's good he gets some candy, then sleeps until we get to our destination!

Pukity
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM

it could be play-doh or coloring book,  but if its too long she gets bored and nap.  DD is 4 years old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)