Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Doesn't like school

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM
  • 7 Replies

My dd is 3 1/2. She started preschool a couple days ago, but she has been at the same place since May in their daycare. Everyday she tells me she doesn't want to go to school and that it is "yucky." I've asked the teachers and they say she does great and when I pick her up she is playing and doesn't want to leave. I've even hung out there for a hour one day and she seems really good there, but the minute we get home and all the next morning she says she doesn't want to go anymore. Is this normal? Is it just a toddler thing or should I be worried.

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
PeppyInPink
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

She may just being saying it to see if she will get out of going and be able to do what you're doing? Sometimes I think little ones will say things like that but don't mean it. 

My son was really excited for school but did experience some separation anxiety last year, this year he's talking non-stop about how he can't wait to go to school so I'm hoping he doesn't have an issue this year.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this
No need to worry. That's normal.
Crystaa
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was going to the same daycare for 4 years and for the past year he did not want to go anymore. The mornings were the worst. He would crawl back to bed or take of his shoes before we would leave the house. I put some thought into it and figured maybe he did need a change so he started VPK at a new daycare and he has been enjoying it ever since. No more fighting in the mornings :)
Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember saying that when I went to school. But, my son is 3.5 and he loves school, he only goes for half a day, though.

kajira
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

That's pretty normal. My 3 1/2 year old always says she doesn't want to do something, or go some where, then once we are there, she doesn't want to leave. LOL

butzi
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My 3.5 year old spends one day a week with her grandparents. She always has fun and rarely shows anxiety when I drop her off. However, she will ask me a few days before hand when do I go to Grandma's? When I tell her she will tell me she doesn't want to go... I don't love them... I don't have fun... They're mean... When I ask I ask how, she has nothing. Usually she isn't ready when I come to pick her up. I think really, her preference would be to be with me ALWAYS. She just says whatever she thinks might help that happen.
elkmomma
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Not uncommon.  I did the same thing at that age.  Mom would spray a little perfume on a pocket sized stuffed animal or a scarf so I could at least smell her after she would drop me off.  She said it worked and suggested it when DS started doing that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN