Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Ready to Read

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM
  • 4 Replies

DS who will turn 4 in a couple weeks is very ready to start learning to read.  He's got all his letters and sounds down, as well as a few sightwords.  I'm looking for suggestions on fun (and EASY - I'm 30 weeks pregnant and working more than full time) activities for the roots of learning to read.

Thanks All!

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, nearly vegan, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (11), the cutest little boy ever born (3), two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife. 
Making Sustainability Work in Busy, Everyday Life.
Urban Earthworm

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Elibellamiah
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I like the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, it's not perfect and we didn't finish the book but it was a good start and then once my child had the concept of sounding out down I moved on to Bob Books.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
The easiest way? Get some magnetic letters or write letters on index cards & cut them into squares. Get a & t and show him how to read 'at' then add letters in front of it, m, s, p, r, f, h....to make mat, sat, pat, rat, etc. Do that one day then do -an the next, then other 'word families' like -it, -in, -on, etc. You can make flip books with each word family, too. Then use early reader books like the Bob books to let him read stories with those words (Costco has the sets a few times a year)
PeppyInPink
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I like this index card idea. :D

Quoting collinsmommy0: The easiest way? Get some magnetic letters or write letters on index cards & cut them into squares. Get a & t and show him how to read 'at' then add letters in front of it, m, s, p, r, f, h....to make mat, sat, pat, rat, etc. Do that one day then do -an the next, then other 'word families' like -it, -in, -on, etc. You can make flip books with each word family, too. Then use early reader books like the Bob books to let him read stories with those words (Costco has the sets a few times a year)

Mantidae
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Thanks!  These are both great ideas!

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, nearly vegan, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (11), the cutest little boy ever born (3), two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife. 
Making Sustainability Work in Busy, Everyday Life.
Urban Earthworm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)