Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

what is she talking about?!?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:01 AM
  • 5 Replies
Dd is a smart little girl who constantly surprises us by announcing the shape of an object that catches her eye (not triangle or circle, but semicircle or octagon, etc) or randomly explaining how composting works (something we dont do). She'll be 5 in January. She has a new habit that is driving me crazy! For example, tonight while I was getting her to bed she says matter of factly: A long time ago, when I was a baby, you sang to me to calm me down....like a real mom.

A REAL mom? I am her real mom. I still sing to her, we spend lots of time together. She keeps making statements that end in "like a real mom". What is she trying to tell me? Does she somehow feel neglected? Underloved? We play games, go on adventures, have mommy daughter time, I read to her, sing to her, dance with her. I'm not sure if I feel hurt or just confused.

Thoughts?
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My guess is she plays pretend house with a friend and they use that phase. I wouldn't worry about it
Elegy
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure why that statement would hurt you? She's saying you DID do that, so you were/are a "real mom".. I'm not sure exactly what she means, only she knows that, but maybe to her a "real mom" is a mom who does just what you do - sing, play, have fun, be together. By 5 I'm sure she has witnessed moms yelling, ignoring, etc their kids, so she's commenting on how "real" you are because you are a loving mom.

dyrissa
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Prdtend house makes sense ...

Quoting collinsmommy0: My guess is she plays pretend house with a friend and they use that phase. I wouldn't worry about it
dyrissa
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM
I didnt look at it that way. I felt like she was critiquing me somehow, like I might be dropping the ball

Quoting Elegy:

I'm not sure why that statement would hurt you? She's saying you DID do that, so you were/are a "real mom".. I'm not sure exactly what she means, only she knows that, but maybe to her a "real mom" is a mom who does just what you do - sing, play, have fun, be together. By 5 I'm sure she has witnessed moms yelling, ignoring, etc their kids, so she's commenting on how "real" you are because you are a loving mom.

butzi
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I think sometimes we really project our insecurities... I doubt she is criticizing you since she is pointing out good things you do. Be kind to yourself :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)