Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Road trip advice?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM
  • 11 Replies
My family and I are leaving to go on vacation to visit family this Friday. It is a 6 hour drive. My problem is I have a 3 year old daughter who has only been fully potty trained for 2 months. I have made this trip several times and there are not a lot of frequent restroom stops along the way. I have thought about just putting a diaper on her for the drive there but I don't think she will like it. So I'm debating between diaper or no diaper. Does anyone have any advise or tips on what I could do to make this trip easier for us?
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MinglingMom
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I'm not sure if this helps but they make portable potty seats. DD has started potty training and we've contemplated getting one. We have family that lives 6 hours away and we'll need it for Thanksgiving.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/potette-reg-plus-2-in-1-travel-potty-trainer-seat-by-kalencom/111261?Keyword=folding+potty+seat

wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe try pull ups since they're more of the "big kid" diaper. And just stop at a restroom when you can. I like what minglingmom suggested too.
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM
We did a 4 hour drive with my 3 year old. He needed to stop 2-3 times each way. He got anxious about holding it so he kept asking to stop......

I would try to get her on some kind of schedule-ish before you go - my son usually pees around 10, 12, 1, & 4 every day, so we left at 10, stopped for lunch & he peed at 12 & when we left, then napped - when he woke up we stopped again. It's was a pain to stop so much
mattsmate
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

With our DD, we often do a 4 hr drive. When she was newly potty trained, we used pull-ups on long drives. We also did this on flights too. dD is a champion holder so, generally, this isn't a problem.  

Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

We are road tripping tomorrow. I would not put a diaper on my son, who has been potty trained for as long as your daughter. I think he would regress... I will ask him 10 times if he's gotta go potty. I'll bring extra clothes and a microfiber towel in case he pees. But, I stop a lot to pee myself, so we'll just make him go when I go.

Oh yeah, candy always works as a great bribe :)

RKL10
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Maybe get a portable potty seat and bring a blanket to give some privacy so it's less awkward not sure if this will help just a thought
bellawomen
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM
I would never revert back. There are places to stop for food and gas that gave bathrooms. You can buy a portable potty which is a great idea as well. Everyone needs to stop every 2-3 hours anyway to stretch and prevent blood clots.
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:50 PM
We traveled with a portable potty when DD hadn't been trained for long. Another way we made a long road trip easier was by leaving hours before sunrise so that the kids would sleep in the car for the first several hours of the trip.
Anoronlight
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:55 PM
I would do a portable potty and if you have to stop and there isn't anything near by, then you can pull over and use the potty seat instead.
ChUcKyZ_MoMmI3
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Also theres this thing called a piddle pad I think that you can put in the carseat just incase of a accidents
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN