Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Children close age

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM
  • 15 Replies
Does anyone here he kids that are 20 months apart? My son Jackson is 10 1/2 months and Jonathan is almost 3..

At bed time my toddler is a nightmare literally. I've been sticking to a routine.. Dinner at 7pm then he goes outside for 20 min to get his screams out. Then teeth brushing and a story. Then lights out. He screams and kicks the door also unlocks and leaves bedroom. I'm usually laying on the bed with the baby while he acts out. I've tried hugging him and moving him back to the bed. He screams for 30 min. Then finally lays down. Then it takes him an hour just to fall asleep..

Is this just a phase?

Because it's getting exhausting.

Then in the morning he wakes up in a terrible mood. He has tantrums from the time he wakes..

This morning he came out laid on the couch, asked for a blanket because he was cold. Of course his brother came over to pull the blanket and Jonathan say I want you to put him away so he doesn't take my blanket..

He says to put baby away everytime he builds or doesn't want Jackson to mess something up.. Should I separate them or make them play together?
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Mine are 27 months apart, 12 months & a little over 3.

I lay with both of them until they fall asleep at night. We lay in my bed & I read 3 stories then they lay down/nurse to sleep. When one is really not ready (usually the 1 year old, maybe once a week), DH comes and either lays with my older son or rocks the baby. We start reading books at 8, kids are usually asleep around 8:45, 9 for the 3 year old.

With toys, I wish my older son had his own room.....for now all of his little toys or things like puzzles are done in the office where the baby can't go. Special Lego duplo buildings, put together puzzles, small toys, and art supplies are kept in there as well as other 'treasures' my son has. I give my son rewards (stickers on a sticker chart) when he is playing nicely or at least keeping his hands to himself when they are both playing in the same space
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM
You lock his bedroom door?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyaunatural
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM
I do pretty much the same as you with bedtime so maybe it's just a phase. But my baby goes to sleep with ease just not my toddler no matter how pleasant I am. It takes us an hour till he falls asleep.

Quoting collinsmommy0: Mine are 27 months apart, 12 months & a little over 3.

I lay with both of them until they fall asleep at night. We lay in my bed & I read 3 stories then they lay down/nurse to sleep. When one is really not ready (usually the 1 year old, maybe once a week), DH comes and either lays with my older son or rocks the baby. We start reading books at 8, kids are usually asleep around 8:45, 9 for the 3 year old.

With toys, I wish my older son had his own room.....for now all of his little toys or things like puzzles are done in the office where the baby can't go. Special Lego duplo buildings, put together puzzles, small toys, and art supplies are kept in there as well as other 'treasures' my son has. I give my son rewards (stickers on a sticker chart) when he is playing nicely or at least keeping his hands to himself when they are both playing in the same space
Mommyaunatural
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:48 PM
We co sleep so we share a bed room. I do Lock the bedroom door while I'm in there with him. Which doesn't matter because he knows how to unlock the door

Quoting waytomanykids10: You lock his bedroom door?
Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM

7 pm is late to feed kids! That's even late for me to eat. We eat at 5 and kid is in bed by 8:30. Lately he gets his bath in the afternoon because the dang school sends him home covered in sand, but it's 8pm get ready for bed. So, he gets 2 hours to play and do whatever...

I would try to feed them earlier, and put the younger one down earlier. That way the older one may have peace and quiet while trying to fall asleep...

Mommyaunatural
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:50 PM
My baby isn't really loud but I try to get baby to sleep first.

My husband gets off work at 5pm so 7 is when we can all eat. But thanks for the advice.

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

7 pm is late to feed kids! That's even late for me to eat. We eat at 5 and kid is in bed by 8:30. Lately he gets his bath in the afternoon because the dang school sends him home covered in sand, but it's 8pm get ready for bed. So, he gets 2 hours to play and do whatever...

I would try to feed them earlier, and put the younger one down earlier. That way the older one may have peace and quiet while trying to fall asleep...

Coconutty4Hubby
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Maybe feed the kids early, and then they can have desert when daddy gets home at 7, then bed time at 8 on the dot for the little one... 

Quoting Mommyaunatural: My baby isn't really loud but I try to get baby to sleep first. My husband gets off work at 5pm so 7 is when we can all eat. But thanks for the advice.
Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

bekaanne0524
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:50 AM
My oldest 2 are 21 months apart and thick as thieves. The sleep thing is probably just a phase. Sticking with the routine will help. Sometimes it helps to add an extra step in the routine. Some kids need a later bed time. My daughter greatly benefits from a later bed time because she is naturally a night person.

I've almost always just made my kids play together. I want them to learn to solve problems between themselves.
dyrissa
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:12 AM

I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old. When my 4 year old was 3 she was exactly like you describe except we're talking bed at 8-9 (we tried adjusting it to see if that would help) and she would finally go to sleep around 3 am. Thankfully it was a phase. She's still a pain to get to sleep on time, but the battle is usually won around 9:45. Hang in there.

sarahw06219
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:48 AM
My boys are 21 months apart,they are 3 and 5. The younger one is currently battling us at bedtime, we previously had this problem with our older son. It's a phase. Can you play with his nap time to see if that helps you? Once we eliminated naps for our older son, the bedtime problem was solved- he was so tired by bedtime he went right down. Right now my 3 year old is in that terrible phase where he really still needs his nap, but then he's not really ready for bed by bedtime so he battles us. You just have to ride it out, be consistent and wait for the phase to pass.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN