Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: My 2 1 2 year old has taken to spitting...

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM
  • 6 Replies

My 2 1/2 year old has taken to spitting out drinks-water, juice, milk. Any suggestions? I make him clean it up and he does not get more drinks until the next meal. Unless it is a hot day and then he might get water in between.

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
booaura
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:19 AM
I would just give water, since it isn't sticky, speak to him about appropriate behavior, and ask him why he does that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I agree with only giving him water and having him clean it up.  It is probably a phase that will pass if you don't give it much attention.  You could also give him a glass of water and send him outside, that way he can experiment a bit without making a mess and maybe get his fill.

uatw14
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:04 AM

My 2 year old is doing it too :(

Maybe it's just a phase? She only does it at meal times though. I have yet to find anything to stop it. She only gets water. She doesn't like milk and I don't like to give her juice. So, she only has water anyways. 

Does your ds find it funny? My dd thinks it's hilarious. I'm currently trying to just look at her with a blank face and say "That's not funny, and that's not nice. We don't do that." Then, I take her cup away for the rest of the meal. We'll see how that goes. 

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Just be consistent and continue to have him clean it up.
EvilQueenMommy
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Sounds like the girl I babysit. What you are doing is fine, taking it and making him clean it up. It's just a phase, he knows he can do it and it is funny to him.

scrappinmama962
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 4:18 PM
New "skill" I suppose. I tell him we just spit out toothpaste into the sink, otherwise we don't spit. I won't get into watermelon seeds, gum into a tissue, etc as he doesn't get to deal with these things for a few years anyway. ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN