Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My small 2 year old

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:14 AM
  • 26 Replies
My son is two and he's pretty small for his age although his height is about average. He doesn't look that skinny but he's small and weighs what most 1 year olds do. We have went through all kinds of tests at the dr as to why he is gaining weight slowly and so far everything looks great. So that's good, but we have no answers. Has anyone else dealt with this? I worry about him but friends and family think he seems just fine. I do all that I can to increase weight and he's gaining but slowly. His growth curve is going up fine, but when they compare him to other kids on the stupid growth chart the drs tell me he's too small and make me worry. I give him lots of high fat foods such as cheese, whole milk, peanut butter etc. Another thing is that he's so incredibly active. Be hardly ever stops moving. He's also smart and developmentally on track.I hope it's just that and maybe a high metabolism that's causing him to be small. Any advice is appreciated. I don't know anyone else dealing with this, all my friends babies and toddlers are big and chubby.
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:21 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter will be 2 years old in November and extremely small for her age too. She barely 19lbs. She has been thru all kinds of tests as well. But everything comes up normal. Doctor is finally backing off and realizing she just small. My son will be 12 in November and is really small too. Only 60lbs. Nothing wrong with him either. As long as both kids continue at their own pace and don't lose any weight, pediatrician is fine with it. Some kids are just small.
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is 2 years old and he is 32lbs and 3 ft 1 in. Tall. How big is your son? Maybe he is just going to be a small guy? My son is also very active. I don't think he ever stops moving.
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:48 AM
He is 20 and a half pounds. And was about 34 inches I believe last they checked. He' s always getting compared to other peoples kids and I constantly get told he's tiny. But since he is growing, I should probably stop worrying. I think the drs make me worry more than anything. But they have done tests for blood counts, thyroid, growth hormone, allergy, etc and all is fine. My stepson was also pretty small. Idk about as a toddler, but he was a small kid until he had a huge growth spurt right between age 13 and 15.
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:37 AM
If he is gainingno matter how slowly, don't worry about it. The biggest mistake any parent can make is comparing their child to another child. Allmy kids were small. My first, I worried about constantly. He was on supplements (dr's orders) for two years. Did nothing for him. He is now 13 and 69 lbs. Still small, but healthy. My other dd just made it on the charts at 3%. Not worried.
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 12:08 AM
My son is 3 & weighs 27 pounds. At 2, he was around 22-23 pounds. He's at the fourth percentile & always has been.

He has a ton of food allergies but he's also just a tall, skinny kid.
by Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this
If he's staying in his curve he's just fine, at least thats what my dd's Dr told me. He said not to worry what other kids were doing, watch her. Everybody is different.
by Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM

My daughter just turned 3 and I have been having a lot of problems as well with her weight pretty much since she was born. She was below the 10th percentile for her age at the time (was only like 18 lbs for a very long time) She was diagnosed with Failure to Thrive but is otherwise very healthy. The major problem I have is that she is extremely picky. A nutritionist that spoke to me when she was on the WIC program suggested Pediasure which they provided as long as her doctor approved it and filled out a prescription for for it. it has helped very well. I recently got removed from the program so I stopped giving her the Pedisure(it gets expensive after a  while). I was then told by an OT that she has been seeing to adding a little bit of protein powder in things like chocolate milk. She even told me that I could add things like butter to the food she likes such as french fries and fish sticks to add the extra fats and protien. It has helped a good bit and is slowly picking up weight to where she should be. How are you and your husband size wise? My husband and i are not very big as well so you can take that in to consideration.

by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM
If his growth curve is looking good, try not to worry. Kids seem to grow at their own rates. My DD has been super short for her age, but finally seems to be catching up to her classmates a bit now that she's four.
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM

My son is tall and heavy for a two year old, but he's very thin. So instead of hearing about being too small, I get told he's too heavy. So far my second son is tiny. I honestly wouldn't worry about my son if he was as you describe yours. Some kids are small, some are large, and it's absolutely ridiculous to expect all kids (and adults, too, for that matter) to fit into the same mold.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

by Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 8:12 PM
I agree with it being ridiculous for kids to be the same. They are all so different. I get so that in not worried since wic says his growth looks fine and he is doing well. But then the darn dr starts with the comparisons to other kids his age and it's so frustrating. We are doing Pediasure as well as adding butter and powdered milk to things to add calories. He's just a picky and active boy. His father and I are pretty average size. My other son is super tall and skinny and eats tons. My toddler is pretty short and small but he has been in the lower percentiles since he was around 5 months. So he's consistent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)