Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone have a toddler who does this...

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM
  • 4 Replies
My two-year old has had digestive problems his whole life, but he is finally growing out of it. But he figured out that we will drop everything when he is about to throw up.

So, now when he doesn't want to do something (mostly at bedtime) he makes himself throw up. Or he cries until he throws up.

As tempting as it may be, I will not ignore him and let him throw up because it will eventually ruin all of our stuff.

Advice please!
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
GoldenLinds
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
So you stay calm, encourage slow breathing, talk about how throwing up doesn't feel good blah bla and then when the episode is over you calmly go vack to whatever it was. You dont let it derail the situation. Like if it starts over cleaning toys then once its over you go back to cleaning toys and remind uim you would have been done already if he hadnt made you stop because he made himself sick. Also you make him help clean the mess it causes. Nothing gruesome but if it gets on clothes then you make him carrythem to the washer and gelp start the load. Make him help disinfect the floor if needed. I went through this with my stepdaughter. Once they lose control of the outcome because of causing an episode they stop because there is no power in it.
GoldenLinds
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Oh and as for crying until they puke you sit calmly and repeatedly tell them that when they stop crying you will talk o them. The key is really about you. If this behavior stops causing such fuss and gaining them the upper hand then it will dissipate.
jstadt
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM
We do go back to what we were trying to do. I haven't made him help with cleaning the mess. I should try that. I guess it's just a matter of time for him to realize he is not in control. I know I was a stubborn child so maybe I am just getting my payback LOL
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:45 PM
That's sad. I don't see any child purposely making himself throw up like that.

Maybe he's allergic to something you are feeding him, or he feels nauseauated after dinner.

I would get him checked for allergies and change his bedtime routine so that it's less stressful on him
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)