• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is normal for a 3 year old?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:36 AM
  • 33 Replies

As far as talking?

Ds is 3 1/2, he uses You in place of I when talking about himself. He likes to repeat things me and dh say. I understand most of what he says but if he is excited he is hard to understand. What should he be doing as far as talking? I read to him all the time, He will even "read" the smaller books i have read to him.

And do you have any tips for helping a lefty learn to write? I want to try and start him on letters, but its a bit hard with him using his left hand.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
The talking sounds fairly normal. I'm a lefty teaching a righty to write. What has worked has been using my right hand to help guide her hand. It's by no means good looking handwriting, but that's largely because DD has her own idea of where the pencil mark should go. She's four and in pre-k, so that has helped a lot with practicing writing.

In my own experience growing up, if I was trying to learn other tasks from a righty, it helped if I could be facing them and mirror what they were doing.
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM

My daughter is the same age and goes to speech therapy (since October). She was really behind for their age. Your son sounds pretty much like the kids in my DD's preschool class but if you are concerned you can go to his pediatrician and get their opinion.

cabrandy03
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:48 PM
Sounds on track for his age.
Sorry no tips for leftys.
terra52590
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:39 PM
I'm a righty and DD is a lefty she goes to preschool and we work on her letters and numbers like normal I write it out and she tries to copy me.. If she needs help I guide her left hand with my right. No big deal :)
Bieg9093
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Does he use words to get his needs met?  Or does he rely more on gesturing, crying, whining?  Does he use words even when frustrated?  Does he use made-up words, as if pretending to talk?  Do other people understand him, or do you have to translate?  Can he follow a direction without gesturing or modeling?  And tell me more about this repeating thing...like, if you ask him a question, does he repeat the question and then answer it?  Or does he just repeat the question? 

crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM

He will tell me when hes hungry or needs a drink. He will have an accident and instead of saying "uh-oh i pooped" he will say "uh-oh, did you poop?" He is starting to voice his frustrations, A lot of the time he will just scream and i remind him i cant tell whats wrong when he screams and he needs to tell me whats wrong. He has some made up words, he only uses them when hes being silly or playing with his toys. mil is the only one that needs help understand ing some of the things he says, she understands a lot of what he says. Every now and then he will throw out a new word that can take a min for me to figure out. Ill have him show me if its really hard and then i say it the correct way and he repeats it and it will start to sound more like what it is. He will repeat them a few times, and then answer, or he will tell you something over and over and will not stop until you repeat what he says.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Does he use words to get his needs met?  Or does he rely more on gesturing, crying, whining?  Does he use words even when frustrated?  Does he use made-up words, as if pretending to talk?  Do other people understand him, or do you have to translate?  Can he follow a direction without gesturing or modeling?  And tell me more about this repeating thing...like, if you ask him a question, does he repeat the question and then answer it?  Or does he just repeat the question? 

Bieg9093
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

There's nothing startling there.  But it's enough to warrant a speech eval.  I think he'd probably qualify for speech therapy.  The screaming until you prompt him to use words is a biggie.  And yeah...the repeating and that excellent "did you poop" example clearly illustrate a disconnect in his understanding of language. 

Quoting crystalplus1:

He will tell me when hes hungry or needs a drink. He will have an accident and instead of saying "uh-oh i pooped" he will say "uh-oh, did you poop?" He is starting to voice his frustrations, A lot of the time he will just scream and i remind him i cant tell whats wrong when he screams and he needs to tell me whats wrong. He has some made up words, he only uses them when hes being silly or playing with his toys. mil is the only one that needs help understand ing some of the things he says, she understands a lot of what he says. Every now and then he will throw out a new word that can take a min for me to figure out. Ill have him show me if its really hard and then i say it the correct way and he repeats it and it will start to sound more like what it is. He will repeat them a few times, and then answer, or he will tell you something over and over and will not stop until you repeat what he says.

Quoting Bieg9093:

virginiamama71
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:56 PM

my son is a lefty. I just let him use the pencil, crayon, etc on his own. 

crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Yeah, I just love when that pops up during shopping -_-

So do i call his dr or do i wait until his 4 year appointment?

Quoting Bieg9093:

There's nothing startling there.  But it's enough to warrant a speech eval.  I think he'd probably qualify for speech therapy.  The screaming until you prompt him to use words is a biggie.  And yeah...the repeating and that excellent "did you poop" example clearly illustrate a disconnect in his understanding of language. 

Quoting crystalplus1:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Madelaine
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Quoting cabrandy03: Sounds on track for his age. Sorry no tips for leftys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)