• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Fights Sleep. Suggestions?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:39 PM
  • 58 Replies
My son is 22 months old. He is a wonderful, happy little boy. His one issue is that he does not want to fall asleep. He has fought sleep for a while, but lately it has gotten worse. It can take hours for me to get him to sleep sometimes. I read to him to get him to sleep. He will start drifting off, then he will pinch himself, pull his eyelashes, kick his feet or maybe just squirm a bit to stay awake. I try to stay calm, but sometimes I get upset. It is hard to be patient with this.

I know it is normal to fight sleep at this age, but does anyone have tips to help him fall asleep faster and to help me remain calm when he is doing this?

Thank you!
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:22 AM

I think it is a a phase my son went through also.Once he turned 2 naps were extinct!

Madelaine
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Quoting johnny4ever:

I think it is a a phase my son went through also.Once he turned 2 naps were extinct!

Madelaine
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:32 AM

My son stopped napping around this age too.

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:50 AM
The same thing happened with my daughter. Luckily the phase was fairly quick.

Quoting johnny4ever:

la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Is he fighting naps or bedtime?

splatz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Unfortunately I think its just one of those things you have to get used to. Kids are afraid they might miss something fun if they go to sleep. 

MistressMinerva
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM

It's the wonderful terrible 2's approaching you...lol

sunshine777411
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 11:04 AM

That is good to know. Sometimes he will go a few days without napping, then go back to napping. I wonder if he will stop napping soon, too.

Quoting johnny4ever:

sunshine777411
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM

My son will go a few days without napping, then go back to napping. Maybe he will stop napping soon.

Quoting Madelaine:

My son stopped napping around this age too.

sunshine777411
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Most of the time it is both. Yesterday he fought his nap, but eventually fell asleep. At bed time he was really tired and didn't fight at all. Sometimes he doesn't fight his nap and fights bed time.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Is he fighting naps or bedtime?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)