Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lock myself In room

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:02 PM
  • 29 Replies
I just want to lock myself in a room and scream and cry. I'm laying down in my room while my 3 year old son is banging on the door cryin I want to go I there mommy please.. Screaming and banging on the door while my 1 year old is in room with me playing with water bottles.

I told my 3 year old to lay down in his bed which is in our room to take a nap because he's driving me crazy literally. I feel like the worst mom on the planet today because I've practocally been yelling all day. He practically bashed a play cop car in his brothers face today. I took the toy away for the day and made him give his brother a hug and say sorry..

Then I was putting them in jogging stroller to go for a run. So I buckled them in so I could get dressed quickly not quick enough so my 3 year old kept screaming and just being obnoxious in his brothers face which in turn made his brother cry.

Then just a couple minutes ago he continuously wrapped himself up in my curtains in the bedroom till they almost ripped.

Nothing I do works. When I put him on timeouts he kicks the baby gate down in the hall to get out. And if I try it without gate he just doesn't stay put..
What do I do .. I'm so sad and tired.
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Everybody has those days where everthing feels overwhelming..hugs!Do you spend 1 on 1 with the 3 year old?

Roo1234
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:39 AM
When my kids were that age,I found that sometimes when they were at their worst and I didn't feel that I had anything left in me to deal with them that it was the time I needed to more fully engage. Not to punish, but to use my presence to slow and calm things down.I realized I needed to connect more because they weren't getting what they needed from me to feel secure and safe. A child who feels connected is less likely to misbehave.

Tantrums are scary and sometimes when a child is in the middle of one they don't know how to stop it. Being there as a comforting source, reminding him to breathe, calmly talking in a whisper giving simple directions can give him the tools for a time in the future. It isn't rewarding a tantrum to help a child stop it as long as you aren't reversing the "No".

also keep in mind that ometimes when a child seems more difficult than usual, it is possible that he isn't feeling well but doesn't know how to express it.

It really sounds like he is telling you that he needs you to help him.
Madelaine
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Agreed

Quoting Roo1234: When my kids were that age,I found that sometimes when they were at their worst and I didn't feel that I had anything left in me to deal with them that it was the time I needed to more fully engage. Not to punish, but to use my presence to slow and calm things down.I realized I needed to connect more because they weren't getting what they needed from me to feel secure and safe. A child who feels connected is less likely to misbehave. Tantrums are scary and sometimes when a child is in the middle of one they don't know how to stop it. Being there as a comforting source, reminding him to breathe, calmly talking in a whisper giving simple directions can give him the tools for a time in the future. It isn't rewarding a tantrum to help a child stop it as long as you aren't reversing the "No". also keep in mind that ometimes when a child seems more difficult than usual, it is possible that he isn't feeling well but doesn't know how to express it. It really sounds like he is telling you that he needs you to help him.

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
This is a really good point. There have been times in the past when I felt like I was spending too much time telling at my son for various things he was doing. Finally on those days I sit him on my lap and just talk for a little bit. We talk about how it's been a hard day so far but let's make a fresh start. It's amazing how much different the day goes after our "fresh start".

Quoting Roo1234: When my kids were that age,I found that sometimes when they were at their worst and I didn't feel that I had anything left in me to deal with them that it was the time I needed to more fully engage. Not to punish, but to use my presence to slow and calm things down.I realized I needed to connect more because they weren't getting what they needed from me to feel secure and safe. A child who feels connected is less likely to misbehave.

Tantrums are scary and sometimes when a child is in the middle of one they don't know how to stop it. Being there as a comforting source, reminding him to breathe, calmly talking in a whisper giving simple directions can give him the tools for a time in the future. It isn't rewarding a tantrum to help a child stop it as long as you aren't reversing the "No".

also keep in mind that ometimes when a child seems more difficult than usual, it is possible that he isn't feeling well but doesn't know how to express it.

It really sounds like he is telling you that he needs you to help him.
la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I've had days where I feel like I disciplined more then loved. I found things to keep my child busy. Try positive discipline. "Thank you for using manners!" "Thank you for cleaning up your blocks!" "What a big boy you are, throwing away your own trash without mommy asking" I have found that made a world of difference with my children. They need to hear positive and they respond to that much better then "No, don't do that"

splatz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:48 AM

hugs

MistressMinerva
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I've had days where I feel like I disciplined more then loved. I found things to keep my child busy. Try positive discipline. "Thank you for using manners!" "Thank you for cleaning up your blocks!" "What a big boy you are, throwing away your own trash without mommy asking" I have found that made a world of difference with my children. They need to hear positive and they respond to that much better then "No, don't do that"

egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:15 PM

I think we all have those days when we feel overwhelmed. He sounds like a typical 3 year old, but that doesn't mean they're always easy to deal with. lol Did he sleep well last night? Did you? Maybe laying down for a quick nap together or doing a fun activity will help you both. 

mikesmom65270
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:21 PM

I also agree.  

Quoting Madelaine:

Agreed

Quoting Roo1234: When my kids were that age,I found that sometimes when they were at their worst and I didn't feel that I had anything left in me to deal with them that it was the time I needed to more fully engage. Not to punish, but to use my presence to slow and calm things down.I realized I needed to connect more because they weren't getting what they needed from me to feel secure and safe. A child who feels connected is less likely to misbehave. Tantrums are scary and sometimes when a child is in the middle of one they don't know how to stop it. Being there as a comforting source, reminding him to breathe, calmly talking in a whisper giving simple directions can give him the tools for a time in the future. It isn't rewarding a tantrum to help a child stop it as long as you aren't reversing the "No". also keep in mind that ometimes when a child seems more difficult than usual, it is possible that he isn't feeling well but doesn't know how to express it. It really sounds like he is telling you that he needs you to help him.

jessicasmom1
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 1:17 PM

I agree

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)