Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: I am trying desperately to potty train 2 yr old boy

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:43 PM
  • 33 Replies

I am trying desperately to potty train our 2 1/2 year old boy. He literally wants nothing to do with the potty. He throws a fit is you try to get him to go. I have tried candy, stickers, and other rewards. What can I do to get him more interested in going to the potty?

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Stop trying for a month or two then try again.
pandabear2002
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 8:31 AM
That's what a lot of people are saying. Thanks I think I'll try it.
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldnt force it. Two is still early. Maybe have the little potty near the bathroom so when you go he can sit fully dressed on his and pretend so he can get used to his potty, trust me, when hes ready itll be like a switch flipped and it will be a lot easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 9:19 AM
He's not ready! Pushing him is just going to be a huge headache for you both! Try waiting a little whole longer and just encourage him for now.
AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 9:51 AM
Wait until he is ready.

I would have him go with anyone who is using the pitty. And talk it up and make it sound far more exciting than diapers. Also I would let him pick out his own big boy underwear.
CheerioHolder
by Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 9:56 AM
I agree with the previous responses that he doesn't sound like he's ready. You can't force him on the potty, so maybe take a break from it for now. In the mean time I'd suggest reading lots of books and finding songs about big boys using the potty. Also try taking him to the store to show him all the cool big kid underwear he can choose from when he's ready to go on the potty.
kajira
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Wait till he's ready and it's his idea.... then it will just click and be a no-fight thing.

virginiamama71
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:26 AM

maybe he is not ready 

pandabear2002
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Thank you all for your advice. We started trying to potty train him when he was 18 months. Mainly because of my mother in law running her mouth that we didn't need 2 kids in diapers. At first he would tell us when he had to go. This usually meant that he had already gone potty in his diaper or underwear. He actually has sit on the potty in the past with no problems, and I thought he was getting the hang of it. All of the sudden he stopped being interested. Now it HAS to be his idea, and he doesn't sit long. He can tell us when he needs a diaper change, he can tell us when he is going potty in his diaper. He stays dry during naps, and sometimes stays dry at night depending on how much he's had to drink before bed.

When he first started rebelling againt the potty his doctor thought he might have a bladder infection or something. It was just all of the sudden he didn't want anything to do with it anymore. However tests came back clear. Doctor said it could just be where he is 2 and he wants it to be in his time, and his way. We backed off for a while.

He will be 3 in April, so a couple days ago I tried again tointerest him. We have tried candy, stickers, and other rewards to get him excited. He didn't like sitting there, but after he peed and got rewarded he loved it. I don't want to keep yo-yoing and confuse him, but I think I might back off for a few weeks and try again. 

He keeps saying he wants to get on the bus with his big brother and go to school. We even tried telling him that he can't ride the bus or go to school if he wears diapers. He has his own potty in the bathroom, he also has the seat that fits over the big potty, and we have a travel fold up seat for when we are out and about. Any ideas about how to revisit this in a few weeks with out the fight hopefully? Maybe I should wait until after his 3rd birthday?

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Stop
He's clearly not ready
Come back to it after a few weeks..do not mention it at all for those few weeks

Quoting pandabear2002:

I am trying
desperately to potty
train our 2 1/2 year
old boy. He
literally wants
nothing to do with
the potty. He throws
a fit is you try to
get him to go. I
have tried candy,
stickers, and other
rewards. What can I
do to get him more
interested in going
to the potty?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)