Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Start of School

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:02 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hi everyone! I am not originally from the US so I am still unfamiliar with the school system here. At what age does a child start school? Also, what is "kindergarten" and is "kindergarten" required?

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dragonmom10
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Kindergarten typically starts at 5 years old though there is a cut off point where a 4 year old might start if they have a birthday coming up though I think there may be some parental discretion in that case. Kindergarten is required. Contact your local school district (for your county) and they should be able to help with the local specifcs. 

rosie654
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Thank you. And what exactly do children do in kindergarten? How is it different from the rest of school starting with grade 1?

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Kindergarten is not required here where I live, though most parents do send them to Kindegarten. Our cutoff is that a child must be 5 by the 30th of September to start Kindergarten this coming August.  Registration for school is in March here unless you transfer in to the district during the summer, then you register as soon as you move in.
Look up your local school district/board and give them a call to get more specifics. 

Kindergarten here is more structured than preschool and daycare, but still allows for a nap/rest time in the afternoon and slower paced classes, they do math (counting and identifying numbers through 100 and addition and subtraction through 10+10, 10-10) phonics (identifying letters and their sounds), reading (using phonics and sight words to read at a certain pace by the end of the year.  Learning that sentences start with capitals and end with periods, question marks or exclamation points) and handwriting

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM
Preschool starts at 3 but is elective. Kindergarten starts at 5 and is required.
butzi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 3:15 PM
Kindergarten is not required in every state. Check your state laws or ask your local school board.

Quoting Dragonmom10:

Kindergarten typically starts at 5 years old though there is a cut off point where a 4 year old might start if they have a birthday coming up though I think there may be some parental discretion in that case. Kindergarten is required. Contact your local school district (for your county) and they should be able to help with the local specifcs. 

rosie654
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Thanks everyone!

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Kindergarten is not required here in CA.  Children are required to start school at the age of 6 and parents can choose to enroll in 1st grade if they choose to.  The majority of the parents will enroll their kids in kindergarten.  When I worked at the elementary school as a counselor, we had one child enroll without kindergarten into first grade but that was the first one in the three years I worked there.  The cut off date in CA is that they have to be 5 by September 1st.  

Bob192
by on Feb. 2, 2015 at 12:10 AM

I don't think Kindergarten is required in Texas.  I would contact your local school or school district to find out the policies.

janessa27
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Hello and welcome:) I live in Kentucky and kindergarten is required here. A child cannot go until after they turn 5.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2015 at 8:17 AM
Where are you from?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)