• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Troubles with Toddler

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:14 PM
  • 22 Replies

I have been trying to potty train my three year old DD (almost 4 yr old) for the past three months now.... When I began trying to potty train her the first thing I did was take her to buy some new undies; she found some underwear with very cute Sesame Street designs/characters on them (she absolutely loves Sesame Street) and, was very happy about them. When I took her home I got her into her new undies and completely ditched diapers during the day. The problem is I've tried everything, giving her candy, toys, as well as rewarding her with trips to the park; I even tried using a sticker chart, she doesn't care about any of those things; you name it, I've tried it! She won't even sit on the the potty 80% of the time and could careless about telling me when she needs to go. When I ask her if she needs to go potty she always replies with no then, I'll come back to ask her again in ten or fifteen minutes and, I'll usually find her sitting in wet/poopy undies! Even when I take her to the potty to get her to try and use it, she starts crying and throws a fit. I tried putting her in pull-ups months ago but she refuses to even wear them because they don't have Sesame Street characters on them.... Is she just not ready, am I doing something wrong? I'm very lost and irritated about the situation....

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Have you taken breaks and come back to it at a later date? when was the last time you did so?  I, unfortunately, know quite a few kids who were over 4 before they potty trained.  Mine was over 3.5 and I bribed her with a hamster.

Luv4fam81
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:56 PM
Hi..I would give it a break for a little while and go back to it. Try again in a month or so without her realizing it's so important or a big deal. Maybe get a potty seat and step stool as well as a potty that she likes. My son responded well to a Sesame Street potty from Walmart that made a flushing sound.
KatelynA
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Quoting emkirkley:

Have you taken breaks and come back to it at a later date? when was the last time you did so?  I, unfortunately, know quite a few kids who were over 4 before they potty trained.  Mine was over 3.5 and I bribed her with a hamster.

I have taken breaks before, a couple of times to be exact and the last break I took was actually when I started to potty train her again. I'm starting to get worried that she might not ever be potty trained. :(

KatelynA
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Quoting Luv4fam81: Hi..I would give it a break for a little while and go back to it. Try again in a month or so without her realizing it's so important or a big deal. Maybe get a potty seat and step stool as well as a potty that she likes. My son responded well to a Sesame Street potty from Walmart that made a flushing sound.

She actually does have a potty, we went out and I let her pick it out herself, it was a Sesame Street potty as well with Elmo on the front of it. Even though that's the case she still doesn't want to use it and I'm not sure why.

gummiebear813
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:57 AM
My daughter was difficult to potry train and I know hearing them cry is awful but I had to take nt daughter every 20 min weater she said she had to potty or not for like a week then give it 30 mins for a few day then 40 the a hour until she tells you she has to potty. My daughter liked going potty when we wernt at home so maybe even tho its a pain take her potty at the store or the library's when your out always praise her when she goes potty and if she doesn't go say thank you for trying and if she goes in her pants don't get mad take her to potty and explain this is where you have to potty also take her potty when you go potty
athorne
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM
My 3 year old is not fully potty trained but she does go when I placr her on it. It just took over a year. Thecpnlyvprpblrm I have is that she isn't able to tell me when she had to go. Just give it time and she's good get it eventually once she feels she is ready.
KatelynA
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Quoting gummiebear813: My daughter was difficult to potry train and I know hearing them cry is awful but I had to take nt daughter every 20 min weater she said she had to potty or not for like a week then give it 30 mins for a few day then 40 the a hour until she tells you she has to potty. My daughter liked going potty when we wernt at home so maybe even tho its a pain take her potty at the store or the library's when your out always praise her when she goes potty and if she doesn't go say thank you for trying and if she goes in her pants don't get mad take her to potty and explain this is where you have to potty also take her potty when you go potty

I take my daughter to the potty all the time and I'm very consistant about it, I praise her on those rare occasions she gets on the potty. I'll try to get here on the potty, if I'm lucky, I can get her to sit on the potty but, she'll never use it. I'll put her back in her undies and when she gets off, she pees/poops herself when I'm gone. I signed her up for in door swim classes and I really want here to get in school but they don't accept children who aren't potty trained.

BaileyHGirl
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 1:29 PM

She's definitely not ready. Put her back in diapers and take a break for about six months or soand come back to it. Sorry. :(

k8smimi
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Are there other kids around her age that are potty trained?  If so have a playdate and let her see them go potty.  Worked great for us.

KatelynA
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Quoting k8smimi:

Are there other kids around her age that are potty trained?  If so have a playdate and let her see them go potty.  Worked great for us.

I wish but, no there arn't any kids around her age where we live. There are a couple around her age but are a about two and two and a half years younger than her and are obviously not potty trained for that reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)