Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi new to group!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:05 PM
  • 18 Replies
Hi! I am Misty. I have a 3 yr old Lorelai, a 22 month old Abigail and 6 week old Elena.

My question today is how many years is average for preschool? Lorelai isn't in preschool yet because she her birthday is actually the first day of school and I just felt she wasn't ready yet. She is starting in the fall though. Do you think one year of preschool is enough to get them ready for kindergarten?
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello and welcome!  One year of preschool should be plenty.  My dd didn't even go to preschool and she did great in kindergarten.

SophiaKsMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group. I agree not all kids go to preschool and do fine with kindergarten.

-OriginalPoster
by Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 5:09 PM
Kindergarten is the new first grade around here. They have to know basic reading and writing and math before they start or will be behind.

My nephews were behind in the beginning of K because they "only" knew how to count to 12 and knew their Abcs but didn't recognize the individual letters.

Obviously I am working on these things with her but really want her to have the best head start.

Quoting SophiaKsMom: Welcome to the group. I agree not all kids go to preschool and do fine with kindergarten.

sanj1213
by Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 5:26 PM
Hi. Ds won't be going to preschool.
la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Welcome Misty!

I think one year of preschool is plenty. I didn't even do preschool with my oldest and she did great in kindergarten.

splatz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM

I think here it starts at 4? I'm not really sure. My kids have never gone. 

SophiaKsMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 6:20 PM
I know it's crazy. They are doing stuff we learned in 1st and even 2nd grade in kindergarten.

My niece will start kindergarten in the fall they have to learn 50 site words, basic addition and subtraction. Those are the ones I remember from looking at the paper my brother received at her preschool conference. She attends the one at our local primary school.

Quoting -OriginalPoster: Kindergarten is the new first grade around here. They have to know basic reading and writing and math before they start or will be behind.

My nephews were behind in the beginning of K because they "only" knew how to count to 12 and knew their Abcs but didn't recognize the individual letters.

Obviously I am working on these things with her but really want her to have the best head start.
Quoting SophiaKsMom: Welcome to the group. I agree not all kids go to preschool and do fine with kindergarten.

SophiaKsMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 6:25 PM
If my daughter gets into the Jumpstart program basically pre-k she has to know the alphabet without singing it, recognize her letters, count and recognize them, syllables, sounds, and there is a lot of rhyming involved.

Stuff we learned in kindergarten.
-OriginalPoster
by Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 6:55 PM
It feels excessive. If she doesn't get into the preschool for some reason I am definitely signing her up for some sort of online program. She knows her Abcs singing it. Can count to 25 knows basic shapes and colors. I feel like she's a normal kiddo.

Quoting SophiaKsMom: If my daughter gets into the Jumpstart program basically pre-k she has to know the alphabet without singing it, recognize her letters, count and recognize them, syllables, sounds, and there is a lot of rhyming involved.

Stuff we learned in kindergarten.
Wish2Be
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Welcome to the group !

My suggestion would be to check into your county school website. They wouldnt allow my son to join Pre- K until he was 4 because his birthday landed in October. He will be 6 in Kindergarten.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)