Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little worried but working the best i can for him

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:51 PM
  • 10 Replies
So my 1 year old son has been showing signs of delay in his communication and gross motor skills.
See at 3 months old i put him in a program called birth to 3 because of his physical issue of tortocollis. During 3 months to 12 months we had a physical therpist come and work with him and help him get stronger and meet his milestones. Well he did and we signed him off of the program just after his firsr bday.
Well i starter noticing his communication skills were off and he was not pointing to things he wanted. So i again called the birth to 3 and talked with the same person who evaluated him back when he was 3 months old. She said she would come and do ages and stages screener.
So today she came and did that screener and he is at the caution and watch or concern spot. We decided to give him 2 months to see if it will click in and things change and then redo the ages ans stages screener. If no change or little change but not a lot of change then we will evaluate him and get him back in the program and have a speech therpist come to our house and work with him and help me help him
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
splatz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Hopefully he catches up. But 1 is pretty little still & there is a huge amount of growth in verbal & motor skills in the second year. 

la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Quoting splatz:

Hopefully he catches up. But 1 is pretty little still & there is a huge amount of growth in verbal & motor skills in the second year. 

I agree

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 6:58 PM

That is so great that you are connected with this program.  I am glad that they will re-evaluate him to see where he is at in two months.  Until then, read, sing and talk to him whenever you can. 

Wish2Be
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 7:03 PM

I think you are doing the right thing ! I wish I had something like that for my little guy when he was that age. :)

AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM
I think he is still young and they all learn at their own stage. Hopefully he is back on track soon.
TigerofMu
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM

I think you're doing exactly what you need to be doing and are being very proactive about finding solutions!  Way to go!

Desirae1394
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 11:00 PM

*hugs* You're such a great momma to work so hard to advocate for him and to help him as you are. I hope he catches up easily. I'm sure he will. One is still pretty young.

Desirae1394
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Was he born early at all?

3boys89
by Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 11:38 PM
He was 1 week early

Quoting Desirae1394:

Was he born early at all?

Bob192
by on Feb. 20, 2015 at 2:00 AM

Many kids have speech delays that turn out just fine.  They just are not ready to talk yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)