Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bunk bed for 2 and a 3 yr old

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM
  • 40 Replies
Our kids are currently in toddlers beds, but we are moving soon. Our new house is VERY tiny so we only have space for our bed and anot her bed next to it...so I was thinking that maybe a bunk bed with storage at the bottom would work for us. Due to the limited space both their toddlers would not fit and have to go. however, I'm concerned about my 3 yr old sleeping at the top, or both of them running up there and end up injuring themselves. Any mom's out there put their young kids in bunk beds? If so, would you recommend it? Any extra safety tips you could share..?
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XOXOnBubbles
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM

I have not put kids that young in bunk beds.  My son was 5 yrs old before we got bunk beds for our boys and had him sleep on the top bunk.  One of my big concerns was him climbing up and down safely if he needed to go potty at night.

I would look at something like this for younger kids.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80253814/

My brother has this one and has a mattress on the floor for the bottom.  It works well for them as they have an older house with sloped ceilings upstairs and regular bunk beds were too tall.  

I like that this is lower to the ground than most bunk beds (not as high if they fall), and it is surrounded on top so they can't roll out of bed accidentally either (esp. if you have the ladder opening at the foot of the bed).  I would obviously have the older child sleep on the top bunk.  

Another idea to consider is a trundle bed.  But you have to have the floor space at least at night.  It is nice that the lower bed slides underneath for storage during the day.  

AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM
That would make me super nervous to have a three year old on the top bunk.
Shyndi
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:54 PM

I have a 4 and 1 year old and I didn't have the same debate. I didn't like the idea of the bunk bets so small only because mine love to jump and I am afraid the 4y/o would fall on the 1 or they get hurt or something. 

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:58 PM

What about a trundle bed?

goddess99
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Great idea! A 3 year old on top bunk would make me a nervous wreck.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Shani527
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:56 PM
My 3 now 4 year old has been in a bunk bed. She would sneak up to the top with her sister. She now has her own in her own room. So maybe because of the older siblings she learned some stuff but she is very safe up there and uses the ladder responsibly.

If I quoted I'm sorry I didn't mean to but don't feel like copy and pasting and going back.....
johnny4ever
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:58 PM

That would make me nervous. 

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I did when my boys were toddlers : ) They make super nice ones nowadays

Quoting goddess99:

Great idea! A 3 year old on top bunk would make me a nervous wreck.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 5:03 PM

I would be afraid to do bunk beds that young.

sanj1213
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 5:04 PM
Is wait for that a couple more years.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)