Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time to train... [EDIT]

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:08 PM
  • 30 Replies

Potty train that is. My DD just started potty training the other day, and the first day she did great. No accidents, and used the potty every time she had to go! But day two, DD and I came down ill. She was running high fevers and had a small bit of vomiting, and today I am having the fevers. ( it is day three.) Well, day two, I didn't push her to much to use the potty because she was miserable. She couldn't stay away for to long and was very sick. Today she is feeling alot better, and playing and running about, but she seems to be having more accidents and when she does go to use her potty, she doesn't go, she sits there for almost 10 minutes, then gets up and ends up going in her diaper a few minutes later. I know there are ups and downs to potty training, but does anyone have some advice to get her back into the swing of things, as well as ways to make potty training easier while sick?

Also I plan once she gets used to using the potty, switching to Pull ups. I also have a pack of panties ready for when she is ready for them. I know it can take months but I figured it would be nice to have them ready.

[EDIT]

I found out just a little while ago, that she will use the potty when NaiNai (Grandma), Grandpa, or her Aunt (My little sister) Takes her to the potty, but if I do, or my fiance, she refuses to go. Could she be embaressed? Or just picky?
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It may just be that she's feeling better but not totally better and that's why she regressed a bit. It sounds like you have a good plan in place.

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 5, 2015 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think she's embarrassed, I think kids are just more inclined to cooperate for people other than their parents. They push us because they know that we love them no matter what... but they try harder to gain acceptance from others.

I would skip the pull-ups altogether and go straight to underwear. (buy some the next size up, too--you'll need plenty at first and she can wear the ones that are a bit too big now and still use them later).

My DD was super stubborn. What finally helped with her was havig her help clean up the messes she made (pee only).

Good luck!

ChrysAsh
by Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Thanks. I do not plan to use the pull ups to much, but I was advised to use them by her doctor. I didn't want to use them initially. If I can avoid them all together then I'll be happier for it. Neither my sister nor I used them while our mom potty trained us so I don't think they are that big of a deal anyway.

As for her, she has started, last night, a new way of refusing the potty. She sits on it, puts her head to the floor ( folding her self in half) and says Oh yay, and gets up. :/

I'm trying not to get frustrated but I won't lie, this is a pain in the butt.

Quoting RobynS:

I don't think she's embarrassed, I think kids are just more inclined to cooperate for people other than their parents. They push us because they know that we love them no matter what... but they try harder to gain acceptance from others.

I would skip the pull-ups altogether and go straight to underwear. (buy some the next size up, too--you'll need plenty at first and she can wear the ones that are a bit too big now and still use them later).

My DD was super stubborn. What finally helped with her was havig her help clean up the messes she made (pee only).

Good luck!

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 2:31 PM

I only use Pull Ups when I left the house and at night.  During the day, she wore her big girl underwear and she really wanted to keep them clean so she was inspired to use the potty.  I would keep trying and giving her praise.  How old is she?  Maybe a reward system would help her.

ChrysAsh
by Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 2:59 PM
19 months. She doesn't take to rewards like most kids. She prefers clapping and 'Yay woohoo' for praise. She is getting a bit upset if anyone but grandparents take her now so I am not sure how to get her to relax and let me take her to the potty. :/

Quoting momofnatalie:

I only use Pull Ups when I left the house and at night.  During the day, she wore her big girl underwear and she really wanted to keep them clean so she was inspired to use the potty.  I would keep trying and giving her praise.  How old is she?  Maybe a reward system would help her.

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 5, 2015 at 4:04 PM

Truer words were never spoken! LOL I thought potty training was NEVER going to end.

frustratedbanging head into wall

Quoting ChrysAsh: Thanks. I do not plan to use the pull ups to much, but I was advised to use them by her doctor. I didn't want to use them initially. If I can avoid them all together then I'll be happier for it. Neither my sister nor I used them while our mom potty trained us so I don't think they are that big of a deal anyway. As for her, she has started, last night, a new way of refusing the potty. She sits on it, puts her head to the floor ( folding her self in half) and says Oh yay, and gets up. :/ I'm trying not to get frustrated but I won't lie, this is a pain in the butt.
Quoting RobynS:

Good luck!

splatz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 4:10 PM

I think kids just like to be difficult for their parents lol. I would not push it until she is feeling better. 

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 5, 2015 at 4:26 PM

I would wait until she is feeling better. I don't think she is embarrassed, maybe just adjusting : ) 

sanj1213
by Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 4:36 PM
I would wait until she feels better.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2015 at 7:18 AM

try a reward/sticker chart?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)