Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP PLEASE: Tips on getting rid of that damn pacifier!!!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:13 AM
  • 29 Replies

My little guy is going to be 4 in July and he still uses his pacifier, but only when he's with me (his father and I are separated)  and never with his father.  Even when he is with me the rule is  hes only allowed to use it  in the car and in bed.  I know I'm a bad mom and totally an enabler so this is why I just need some ideas of how you guys may have gotten rid of yours.

I have already tried cutting the tips like the pediatrician recommended and boy did that back fire in my face.  We have also tried slowly making them disappear, but its like the kid has a secret stash.

I know in the end it really comes down to me dealing and not giving into the crying fit that will inevitably come when they are really all gone.  Again I just wanted to see other ideas and how you moms dealt with the removing of the paci:)

Thanks!!

by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michellej428
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried talking to him and telling him that it's time to send of his pacifiers to little babies that need them or something along those lines. And then "sending" ALL of them away. I have a few gf's that have done that and it was rough the first few days after the pacifiers were gone but the kids adjusted quickly. With my oldest we just threw them all out when he was around 14 months and the youngest never took a pacifier. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry it's tough for you, but you're right. It comes down to YOUR will being stronger than HIS. If you want it gone, just get rid of them and talk him through it for a few days. He'll adjust.
spitfire06
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:16 AM
Dumb dumbs lol or a ring pop.
Its how I felt with taking it away from oldest dd
NicoleBrower
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM

My sister in law just told me recently how she did it. She was also having a hard time so she dipped the pacifer in ground coffee and then showed it to her son and told him it was little bugs. He was so disgusted that he never asked for it again. I know this is extreme. 

I must say he is now 16 years old and this didn't seem to cause any traumatic effect on him LOL.

Nicole Brower
Proud Mommy of 2 Awesome Girls
Happily Married
Public School Teacher
Childrens Book Author
My Website NicoleBrowerBooks.com

STrottier
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:10 PM

We did this on my daughter's second birthday.  We told her that since she got a bunch of new big girl toys to play with, we needed to give those to brand new babies that needed them.  She just said ok and we never looked back. Our son will be 2 in a couple months, and we will probably do the same again.  Good Luck!

Quoting michellej428: Have you tried talking to him and telling him that it's time to send of his pacifiers to little babies that need them or something along those lines. And then "sending" ALL of them away. I have a few gf's that have done that and it was rough the first few days after the pacifiers were gone but the kids adjusted quickly. With my oldest we just threw them all out when he was around 14 months and the youngest never took a pacifier. Good luck!

blapier
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:26 PM
Cold turkey. Just gather them all and throw them away. I had to do it with dd.
Luke8212013
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Lol!

Quoting NicoleBrower:

My sister in law just told me recently how she did it. She was also having a hard time so she dipped the pacifer in ground coffee and then showed it to her son and told him it was little bugs. He was so disgusted that he never asked for it again. I know this is extreme. 

I must say he is now 16 years old and this didn't seem to cause any traumatic effect on him LOL.

copperswifey
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Mine never would take one. I would just toss them and try to occupy him as much as you can. Stay busy so he doesn't think about it so much. The problems will probably be at night time. Good luck! :) 

timon95
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:58 PM

i made a sticker chart for them. every day and night that they went without it they got a sticker. i eventually just hid them all and kept saying no. they cried maybe a week then got over it

athorne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:21 AM
I just flat out took it away and looked for other ways to soothe my daughter. She has a Scout and Violet stuffed dog and she sleeps with them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)