Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

constantly repeats herself

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:10 AM
  • 25 Replies
My 2 year old constantly repets herself. Anything that comes out of her mouth you can expect to hear it at least 10 more times, if not more. I've tried explaining to her that she doesn't need to repeat herself so many times but it does no good.
For example: this morning when she woke up she told me she was hungry. She repeated herself 27x (I counted) before we got to the kitchen. Its like that with everything and its become very irritating. It seems like I'm always yelling at her to stop repeating herself and I hate that.
Is this just a phase? Is there anything I can do or say to lessen this? Should I bring it up to her doctor?
She also ask mutipule times a week about an uncle she hasn't seen in almost a year. They weren't very close so its surprising to me that she even remembers him. None of the other kids ask about him. Just her. I don't know how else to explain to her that it'll be a long time before she sees him again..
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
copperswifey
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:26 PM

My kids do that and I do it and drives my husband crazy lol I think it is just a phase. Give it some time and if it continues discuss it with your doctor :) 

timon95
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:52 PM

i'm sure it's just a phase. if you are still concerned by her next well visit then i would bring it up tp the doctor

mikesmom65270
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:29 AM

It's a phase and fairly normal.  

athorne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:24 AM
There is nothing wrong with that at her age. As long as she is talking then I don't see a problem. Eventually she will grow out of it once she learns more words. Just give her time.
x3MommaBear
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Thank you ladies. It just seems very excessive to me. She speaks very well for being 2 I just don't understand why she feels the need to repeat herself so much.. You'd think she's been ignored her whole life lol
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM

It sounds like a phase to me too. If you repeat what she says, does she stop? My daughter does something similar but as soon as I repeat it she stops. It's almost like she wants me to acknowledge it by repeating it so she knows I got it lol.

carmensmamma
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:49 PM
I was told it was a phase.....my daughter is now 6 and STILL does it!! Lol it drives me absolutely insane!! I think she knows it, im starting to think my kids just a jerk. Lol!!
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:47 PM
Its a phase. And sooo annoying...both of my kids do it...when they ask a question more than once i remind them that they need to listen to the answer instead of asking the same question 10 more times, if its a statement they are repeating i give the same response a few times, then ask them to stop repeating and tell me what i said in response...usually its gets them thinking about something else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:59 PM
It's normal. It's like they need to reassure themselves that they're communicating effectively. And sometimes they're just repeating new words or phrases to get them down.
wbattistel2007
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:14 PM
Its called echolalia and very normal in speech development.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)