Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 3 year old

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:28 PM
  • 23 Replies
My son is very very smart. He knows everything lol. He does and says everything a normal child would but his speech is really off. Most people can understand him but he still kind of talks baby ish and that's the only way he knows how to talk. Is this normal? He says sentences and words and can get his point across but his speech and how he pronounces words hasn't changed much from when he was one. What can I do to help him better?
Thanks.
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
civxi
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:36 PM

My DD is the same! I used to be worried, but our kiddos will adapt when they're ready. My DD says some words incorrectly, and even gets frustrated when we don't quite understand what she says. I'm sure she'll adapt when she starts school later this year. I try to get her to do flashcards, with the letter on the front and the word on the back. Then ask her to tell me what it is, and if she says it 'wrong' I just encourage her to try and say it the right way. Seems to be helping, if not a little bit, moreso than not doing anything about it. 

Jalilmom19
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Yes I'll definitely try that. I also think me baby talking him while he was younger added on to that lol

Quoting civxi:

My DD is the same! I used to be worried, but our kiddos will adapt when they're ready. My DD says some words incorrectly, and even gets frustrated when we don't quite understand what she says. I'm sure she'll adapt when she starts school later this year. I try to get her to do flashcards, with the letter on the front and the word on the back. Then ask her to tell me what it is, and if she says it 'wrong' I just encourage her to try and say it the right way. Seems to be helping, if not a little bit, moreso than not doing anything about it. 

civxi
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Quoting Jalilmom19: Yes I'll definitely try that. I also think me baby talking him while he was younger added on to that lol
Quoting civxi:

Oh my gosh I agree lol I always referred to her in the third person 'Look at her!' to her. lol so she also sometimes refers to herself in the third person.

Jalilmom19
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:45 PM
Awe lol. Everyone warned me about baby talking him but he's my first child so it was so hard not to! But kids are smart, they'll grow out of it :)

Quoting civxi:

Quoting Jalilmom19: Yes I'll definitely try that. I also think me baby talking him while he was younger added on to that lol

Quoting civxi:

Oh my gosh I agree lol I always referred to her in the third person 'Look at her!' to her. lol so she also sometimes refers to herself in the third person.

civxi
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Definitely! I wouldn't be too worried about his pronunciation though. 

Quoting Jalilmom19: Awe lol. Everyone warned me about baby talking him but he's my first child so it was so hard not to! But kids are smart, they'll grow out of it :)
Quoting civxi:

Quoting civxi:

AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 9:09 AM
I would say he will probably grow out of it soon. Maybe make it a point to point it out to him. And be aware if you guys are talking like that to him as well.
jessicasmom1
by on Apr. 11, 2015 at 10:02 AM

try speaking to him in a normal way he should outgrow it

LaniBee
by on Apr. 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Kids mimic everything! Speak correctly and don't use baby talk. 

conweis
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2015 at 1:14 PM

When he starts hanging around kids his own age at school or outings his speech will improve.

mamamedic69
by on Apr. 11, 2015 at 1:15 PM
He will outgrow it. Just make sure you're pronouncing it correctly and he will copy you. Nothing to worry about right now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)