Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son doesn't like eating!

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:39 AM
  • 33 Replies

my son is now 4 years old and he only has 14 kg! He doesn't eating, all the food I cook is not taste bad(my husband said so), but he only ate a small bowl! I'm afraid he will continue being under weight! Can anyone give me some suggest? Thanks a lot!

by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife-4-life
by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:49 AM
30lbs does seem low for a 4 year old. What does he like to eat?

Kids aste differ from adults not often. What might taste good for your husband may not for your child.
wife-4-life
by on May. 5, 2015 at 9:52 AM
You could try adding things to what he likes. If he likes oatmeal, add some melted coconut oil to it for extra calories. Does he like smoothies? You can really go crazy with fruits & veggies in smoothies. Adding things like yogurt and even a little honey to make it sweeter if he likes sweet hints over tart or bitter.
jessicasmom1
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

let him help you  prepare food , take him shopping with you make him aware of foods add vegetables to sauce, soup , yougurt to smoothies and fruit

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:12 PM

This is really good advice. I've done this with my DD and it really helps.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

let him help you  prepare food , take him shopping with you make him aware of foods add vegetables to sauce, soup , yougurt to smoothies and fruit

hahohui
by Member on May. 6, 2015 at 6:32 AM

My son like eating fish more than other food. Can anyone suggests some recipes about cooking fish for kids?

kiamsunflower
by Member on May. 6, 2015 at 7:05 AM

You don't need to prepare it any differently to the way you would for yourself.

That said, what I like to do is bake a whole fish, serve it for dinner and mae fish "nuggets" with the leftovers and keep them in the freezer for whenever I need to warm up a quick lunch.
Leftover fish, sweet potato, quinoa, eggplant, zucchini and egg then coated in breadcrumbs usually go into my fish nuggets.

Could be a way to get some extra veggies and grains into him if he's not a big eater?

Quoting hahohui:

My son like eating fish more than other food. Can anyone suggests some recipes about cooking fish for kids?

hahohui
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:24 AM

Quoting kiamsunflower:

You don't need to prepare it any differently to the way you would for yourself.That said, what I like to do is bake a whole fish, serve it for dinner and mae fish "nuggets" with the leftovers and keep them in the freezer for whenever I need to warm up a quick lunch. Leftover fish, sweet potato, quinoa, eggplant, zucchini and egg then coated in breadcrumbs usually go into my fish nuggets.Could be a way to get some extra veggies and grains into him if he's not a big eater?

Quoting hahohui:

hahohui
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this

It Seemed to be an appealing dishes! I will try it, thanks you for your sharing!

care123
by on May. 7, 2015 at 4:25 AM

How many pounds is 14 kg? 

My sons each went through a phase where they didn't want to eat much. I don't know why. But they started to eat and eat and eat, so it was a phase for them. One thing was, they both liked milk. They would drink lots of milk instead of eating. Milk is fatty and filling. So it's good but it's not enough. 

They have a cousin who didn't like to eat because he has sensory issues and didn't like the texture of most foods. Hated the way it felt in his mouth, I guess. I also suspect a contributing factor for this child in particular was that his mom let him eat what I would consider too much candy. I think eating too much candy will ruin your appetite for wholesome foods, and plus of course, candy has no nutritional value so you're filling up on empty calories.

What helped with my sons was to try to find a couple different foods - anything, even if it's too fatty or starchy- that each would eat. If you can find a few favorites, given him as much as he wants and slowly try to add new things to his diet so he doesn't get too hooked on one thing.

Another thing, I don't let my boys eat mcdonalds any more. i knew it wasn't that healthy but we'd have it occasionally until i learned more about the ingredients they use and how bad it is for your body. I used to think, well this isn't that good for your body,but they need to eat and they're eating it.

However...I noticed that when they ate mcdonald's for lunch, for example...later in the day when they'd usually be hungry again, they wouldn't want to eat anything else. they would want more mcdonald's the next day. so i wonder if there's something like an ingredient that's addictive. Eating one meal of that would ruin their appetite for a day or so. 

Hope that all helps. Good luck.

kiamsunflower
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:32 AM

~30lbs

Quoting care123:

How many pounds is 14 kg? 

My sons each went through a phase where they didn't want to eat much. I don't know why. But they started to eat and eat and eat, so it was a phase for them. One thing was, they both liked milk. They would drink lots of milk instead of eating. Milk is fatty and filling. So it's good but it's not enough. 

They have a cousin who didn't like to eat because he has sensory issues and didn't like the texture of most foods. Hated the way it felt in his mouth, I guess. I also suspect a contributing factor for this child in particular was that his mom let him eat what I would consider too much candy. I think eating too much candy will ruin your appetite for wholesome foods, and plus of course, candy has no nutritional value so you're filling up on empty calories.

What helped with my sons was to try to find a couple different foods - anything, even if it's too fatty or starchy- that each would eat. If you can find a few favorites, given him as much as he wants and slowly try to add new things to his diet so he doesn't get too hooked on one thing.

Another thing, I don't let my boys eat mcdonalds any more. i knew it wasn't that healthy but we'd have it occasionally until i learned more about the ingredients they use and how bad it is for your body. I used to think, well this isn't that good for your body,but they need to eat and they're eating it.

However...I noticed that when they ate mcdonald's for lunch, for example...later in the day when they'd usually be hungry again, they wouldn't want to eat anything else. they would want more mcdonald's the next day. so i wonder if there's something like an ingredient that's addictive. Eating one meal of that would ruin their appetite for a day or so. 

Hope that all helps. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)